Answers

If you hear clicking when you turn the key to start, it most probably is that the battery is not providing enough juice to the starter or the starter is dead. I would first check the battery cables to make sure everything is tight and clean on the connections, particularly the ground cable. Don't rule out a defective battery as well because it does happen. Test it with a voltmeter to be sure it is at 12+ Volts. Finally, the starter can be tested. You can short the starter terminals with an insulated screwdriver and see if the starter spins. If not, the starter is bad.

yep that's what it sounds like. It's called the EWS system and somehow your GEM module and DME module have locked you out, or somehow your key is no longer recognized by the EWS system.

I have no idea how to re-program this other than taking it to a dealer or repair shop that can diagnose the problem with a scanner and get every little computer in there to start talking to each other again.

By all means, if they can, have them rip this system out and throw it over a fence.

It could be what Mr. Shiftright mentions. There is a starter immobilizer relay in the relay carrier to the left of the steering wheel that is part of the EWS system on your model. This may have been damaged by the bad battery or a surge. Usually a battery change won't deactivate the key transponder, but anything is possible with this system. Try replacing that relay to see if you get your starter working again. As noted, it is a PITA. If it is the EWS system that is locking you out, only the dealer can repair it. Let me know if it was the relay!

Ohhh...I wonder if that relay could just be by-passed?

The fact that his hazard lights come on led me to believe it wasn't a battery cable or starter issue---but you know, you never know!