• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 06/01/11 10:53 am PST

If I'm reading this correctly, you say it wouldn't start with your "good" battery but started right up with a jump start?

If so, then no matter what Autozone says, your battery is no good, especially if it's the original--it's long past due.

Answers

• 02sonoma 06/01/11 11:04 am PST

Mr ShiftRight,
    Thanks for your response. Im gonna try another battery in there before i try anything else. But while i have your attention; when i jumped it, if i didnt have the negative cable grounded just right, it wouldnt take a charge from the jumper vehicle. What i mean is, i hooked up the cables to a diesel truck with 2 batteries and then i hooked up positive on my battery and then negative to the alternator, i got nothing, then i moved neg to another piece of metal and truck started. should i not use the alternator as a ground? Thanks for your help.

• 02sonoma 06/01/11 11:06 am PST

Oh yeah, its not the original battery, it was made in Sept 2007, so its still under warranty at Autozone, which is why i took to O'Reilys also, i figure they would not have any reason to tell me a bad battery is good since its not their product.

• 02sonoma 06/01/11 1:15 pm PST

Well its not the battery. I can hear a clicking coming from where a 40amp ignition fuse when i turn the key. the fuse in located in the box under the hood. with the key on, i can pull the fuse out and then when i go to put it back in it starts clicking as soon as it makes contact.

Well it could still be the battery. What you are hearing is a relay and a relay will often make this noise when it has insufficient voltage to close (a relay is just a heavy switch basically).

The only other possibility, from what you describe, is that you have a bad battery ground cable, or a bad engine to frame ground cable (smaller woven cable).

To test for the latter problem (bad engine to frame or battery to frame ground strap) use only your original battery (don't do a jump start) BUT take one of the battery cables (doesn't matter which one) and make a ground from your truck to another truck or car. ) If your battery suddenly comes alive, then you have a bad ground circuit in your truck.

• 02sonoma 06/03/11 11:27 am PST

So Mr. Shift Right, you were right all along...After testing my battery 3 different times at Autozone and O'Reily, putting on a new starter, testing indivdual ignition related fuses using an ohmmeter, and doing the gorund test that you suggested, i gave up, took truck to mechanic where they told me i had a bad battery. Yikes! Its what i thought to start with and what you told me it was. i go to AutoZone with my $100 mechanic bill and have them test the battery. Im waiting for it to test good so i can show them the mechanics bill and wouldnt you know, the battery tests bad. Well there goes my "gotcha" moment. So i throw a small fit in AutoZone and then go to O'Reily and buy a new battery. The manager at AutoZone (same guy who told me my starter was bad) was unapologetic which is why i went elsewhere to purchase my new battery. To Recap:
    New Starter -$160
    mechanic fee - $100
    new battery - $100
    vs.
    battery swap still under partial warranty $60
    Thank you AutoZone, i have always bought my parts from there, but no more.

Ah well, I guess we can't accuse someone of malfeasance when they say your part is GOOD and they're wrong, but I suppose we could ask them if they know what they are doing.

Batteries have to be properly loaded test on the right kind of machine, otherwise, they'll fool ya' every time.

On the bright side (?) if you had starter or wiring harness issues, you'd be a lot further in the hole. At least you are to be commended in searching for the right answer and sticking with the problem!

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how things turned out---this will undoubtedly help other people who can read about your problem and your investigations.

• 02sonoma 06/04/11 10:13 pm PST

One final update for any one who happens to care...I wrote an email to AutoZone stating my complaints and the next day the regional manager called me to apologize and refunded me the cost of the starter. He showed a lot of class and humility (which would not be said about me if they saw me throwing a fit in AutoZone that day), Just wanted to clear AutoZones good name after i kind of dragged it thru the mud...Thanks all.

Thanks for reporting back and good to hear that AutoZone took good care of you. Kudos to them.

Top GMC Sonoma Experts View More