• avatar docj 02/29/12 9:17 pm PST

You'll never find a man to be as loyal to you as this truck.
    Good for you,keep it going.....the heck with what those jealous folks are saying...
    I had a car that i drove for close to 350k before SELLING it, not scrapping it as they all said is all i could do...

I use to tell folks,that on a really cold morning when i need my woman and my car to turn over,only my car turned over.

OK Brake concern,

Replace both front brake calipers and both front brake hoses to the calipers....the hoses can collapse internally,allowing fluid thru but not back causing the calipers to hang up.
    More than likely its just the calipers.
    What you can do is crack open a bleeder screw on the seized caliper(s),if it frees up,then the hose is restricted,if it doesnt ,caliper is seized.
    Always replace calipers and hoses in pairs...
    At this year and mileage i would replace both the calipers and the hoses....make sure you replace the caliper slide pins and lubricate them well with caliper lubricant.
    Bleed the system well and all should be good.
    Only problem you probably will encounter is the rusted lines coming to the hoses,usually they wil end up needing replacement ,so prepare for that if you do tackle the hoses...and make sure you use new copper washers on the connection where the line bolts to the caliper....2 on each connection

Hope that makes sense

Doc J

One other thing...you forgot to mention if you love your truck.

OK,gotta ask...whats her name?...i'm sure its a Bessie or a Lulubelle right?

Answers

• docj 02/29/12 9:17 pm PST

OK Brake concern,

More than likely its just the calipers.

Hope that makes sense

Doc J

• pamluvshergmc 02/29/12 10:55 pm PST

Hi Doc! Thank you for your answer...I will replace it all and see how that goes.I did do the calipers too so hopefully after my short drive I didnt ruin them getting back to the house with the brake seized. And my truck is a boy...his name is Clark,,,yes as in Clark Kent lol ...lame but I love him ...and yes I agree when I can't get a man to pick it up in the mornin ...I know I have my real pick up waiting for me.
    Any ideas on the brake light /heater /spedometer trip? I thought maybe a relay somewhere but i have a diagram and a list of what controls what and dont see anything that would control all three.
    Thanks again for the brake tips I will apply them when i do the job.
    Have a good one!

• docj 02/29/12 11:29 pm PST

Are you stating that all the concerns occur at the same time?
    And then continue to function again all at the same time?

Any chance you can detail a bit more as to what exactly is happening?

My database is down ,cant access a wiring diagrams right now but one thing that comes to mind if in fact these things occur at the same time would be an Ignition Switch.
    Is it the parking brake thats causing the warning light or the actual hydraulic system?
    Will the light go off if you disconnect the parking brake switch?

Another thing would be a ground issue..not sure if any have a shared ground somewhere...

Had a 93 Chevy Van at the dealer back in 93,new van,3,000 miles on it,wouldnt shift out of first gear leaving a toll booth......hmmmm you say,why just a toll booth...never could duplicate the concern around town at all,only after leaving a toll booth....well,what do you do when you leave a toll booth?...accelerate and put the power window up at the same time.....every time you push the window button,van wouldnt shift...traced it to a shared ground that wasnt properly installed at the factory, ..customer at first was screaming that he wanted a new transmission...cant be electrical..well it was....simple fix once you know the answer...

Anyway,

More info if you can

Doc J

• docj 03/01/12 1:24 pm PST

One thing i thought of that i figured i'd mention also

Is this a 2wheel drive truck?
    If so,did you adjust the proper preload on the front bearings?
    You cannot tighten the spindle nut too tight
    Do the rotors/hubs turn freely by hand with the caliper removed?
    You probably know this and have them right,just figured i'd toss it out there

Good Luck

Doc

Top Brakes Experts View More