Answers

Check the weep hole below the water pump. If it is leaking from there, the new water pump is defective and you'll need to exchange it for a new one. Good luck!

• mrfirebird1995 02/25/09 12:49 pm PST

the problem is coming from ABOVE the water pump. I will check on that tho. Any other thoughts?

• tido 02/25/09 12:50 pm PST

It sonnds like the freeze plug was not put in correctly, the freeze plug has to be put in as straight as possible and can not be off a bit or it will leak also make sure it is in as far as possible. Also you might want to check your hoses they might be cracked . Also you might want to check the water pump gasket it might have been put in incorrectly , Remember you have to put gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket .

Source: tido the great

Well, on this engine the water pump is bolted to the front of the engine at the very top of the block so it is hard to think of anything other than the pump itself that could be leaking. I have seen leaks occur when the gasket surface was not cleaned properly or the gasket itself did not seat properly because of incorrect torquing sequence. When you replaced the water pump, did the old gasket get completely scraped off, you thoroughly cleaned the gasket mating surfaces and did you use a new gasket? Also the bolt torquing sequence is VERY important. You must secure the water pump using all of the water pump retaining bolts/screws, except the bottom three, and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). THEN, you must install the engine front cover bolts/screws and tighten to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm). THEN, you must install the three bottom water pump retaining screws and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm). If you did not follow this sequence, you will get coolant leaks through the gasket.

• mrfirebird1995 02/25/09 4:44 pm PST

It looks like it is leaking from between the timing belt cover and the block. Above the freeze plug. Is there a gasket back there? What's the procedure to fix? Thanks for any help.

• etsharp 02/26/09 6:59 pm PST

It sounds like you have the same exact problem I had. I have a 2000 Firebird but I imagine they are set up pretty similar. I replaced my water pump and a hose and then a leak started above my water pump. There are two little L shaped plastic pipes that I think would be referred to as "bypass lines" that get really brittle after a while. I replaced those and the leak stopped. You can buy them as a set for about $14 at a dealership. Any GM dealership (I got mine from a Chevy dealer) should have them. The old ones will probably break when you take them out. It's a pretty easy fix. My problem now is that I have a blown head gasket . . . I found that out after I replaced those pipes and noticed that there was coolant in my oil. You'll want to be careful not to run your car if it is over heating to avoid having to replace your head gasket. Check your oil and make sure it is ok (if it is a creamy/chocolate milk color you're in trouble). I hope this helps. I signed up on this website just to help you out.

• trkr 08/17/10 9:59 pm PST

what did you do to fix this? i have a 95 firebird, and i thought it was the water pump, i replaced the gasket,put a pressure tester on it and watched the water run down the block, i m thinkin it might be the aluminum casing that the water pump bolts to. any insight?

Top Pontiac Firebird Experts View More

4. colin_l 35
5. patrick88 35
6. wallwolo 35
7. bird21 25