Answers

There are several different possible causes for this problem. Because of this, the way I would deal with the situation is to address the most likely causes first; and then address the remaining possibilities if the problem continues. Or, to deal with this in the shortest time with the least complication; just do everything listed here in one session.

I would first replace the fuel filter and the camshaft position sensor.

Next, I would thoroughly clean the mass airflow sensor, the throttle body, and the idle air control valve.

Then, I would replace the spark plugs and plug wires. I recommend either NGK # 7164 (TR55IX) or ACDelco Rapidfire # 14 spark plugs. The preferred plug wires are spirally wound metal core magnetic suppression type wire; either Powermax # 700431, or Bosch # 09700, or Borg Warner # CH8638.

• michtom1 09/19/10 5:15 am PST

This is somewhat of a common problem. I had the same thing happen, stall with no codes. I finally changed the crank position sensor and the problem went away. This should take care of it.

The previous poster either has a different model car; or he misstated the name of the sensor. The 1995 Buick 3.8 does not have a crankshaft position sensor. It only has a camshaft position sensor. Crankshaft position sensors are not used on all cars.

• michtom1 09/19/10 3:13 pm PST

You may want to double check your response zaken1 All 3800's have a crankshaft position sensor sincce 1985. This is available at Autozone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/
    D...

Thank you for the correction; your point is well taken. There is apparently a catalog error in Rock Auto's listings for crank position sensors. I have been previously relying on those listings for my information. But you might appreciate the following Wikipedia article on the differences between the 3.8 and 3800 Buick engines, and the years in which those engines were used. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_e
    n...
    ) Quoting from this article; "Introduced in 1988, the 3800 LN3 would later be loosely considered the Pre-Series I, although the older 3.8 SFI (LG3) was still available that year in some models. Designated initially by VIN code C, the multiport fuel injected 3800 LN3 was a major redesign, featuring changes such as a balance shaft, on-center bore spacing, use of a 3x/18x crank-trigger system, and other improvements. This generation continued in use in several GM products into the 1990s. It produced 165 hp (123 kW) and 220 lb·ft (298 N·m)."

This article states that the 3800 was not made in 1985; but was first produced in 1988. There is a lot of confusion in many calalog listings about 3.8s and 3800s; because there were so many different versions, and some periods of overlap between models. 

But I agree with your recommendation to replace the crank position sensor in this car.

Top Electrical Ignition Experts View More