• avatar jlflemmons 01/17/11 8:43 am PST

If I have my year models straight, '95 was the first of the new body style and the underhood fuse box is mounted just ahead of the vacuum booster on the drivers side fenderwell. Take the lid off the fuse box and on the inside of the lid is a "map" identifying which relay is which. I believe the headlight relay is one of the silver box relays. On some models, there will be 2-3 relays used that are interchangeable and can be swapped for testing. Before doing this, I would mark them with a permanent marker so you can identify their original location and correctly identify which started out as the headlight relay.

Answers

• jlflemmons 01/17/11 8:43 am PST

• cww3 01/18/11 11:46 pm PST

no luck with the relays can you think of any thing esle?am puzzuled, thanks again cww3 p.s. thanks for the imfro steve

• cww3 01/19/11 12:06 am PST

i will start with the origenale question i have a 1995 chevy s-10 2.2 4cyl.my day time lights work fine when i go to turn on my nite driving lights then i have no headligths at all thanks again cww3 thanks everyone[ jmoms] am at wits end. lol

• jlflemmons 01/19/11 12:39 am PST

So, the headlights will not come on automatically with the light sensor in the dash, nor with they come on manually with the dash switch?

Is it just the headlights that don't come on, or none of the driving lights, park lights, tail lights?

Do they come on when the vehicle is put in gear, and not when in park?

Have you changed the headlight switch in the dash? How about the turn signal stalk with the hi/lo beam switch?

• cww3 01/19/11 9:47 am PST

the only thing that goes off when turn on the headlight switch is the headlight themselfs everything esle is ok. i did try changing the headlight switch. no luck) also i have no senor on the dash that mush have started with the 1996 models as far as the gear and park havnt tryed that. thanks again cww3

• jlflemmons 01/19/11 11:37 am PST

Check to see if the high beams work. I know this sounds stupid, but I got burned on this one before where BOTH low beams burned out at the same time. Basically, one popped and the voltage spike took out the other one, both head lights the same age (originals).

Funny part about it, I had been working on the problem for several days when a "good 'ol boy" mechanic suggested they had both burned out. When I asked him why that would happen, he just said "Well, they wuz both put in at the same time, wuzn't they?"

The other issue you may have is a failed DRL relay/module. This is the module that switches between low voltage (DRL) and full voltage. I will do some checking and see where it is located on that vehicle. Seems I remember it being on the firewall, small rectangular (2"x3") box with a tab for mounting and a connector on the bottom. Either near the brake booster or opposite side near the heater box on the firewall.

• cww3 01/19/11 8:20 pm PST

no luck on the high beam try) i do have 2 black square modules that say bosh on the top of them don't know if that could be what your speaking of let me know what you come up with thanks again p.s. those modules are almost right in the center of the firewall

• jlflemmons 01/19/11 11:22 pm PST

Okay, I found a "typical" GM DRL circuit diagram (Haynes) and have a couple of things for you to check:

1. With the headlights OFF, does the DRL indicator light on the instrument panel? When you turn the headlights on, does the DRL indicator go out?

If so, the module, headlight switch, and DRL relay are working. If the DRL relay were not switching, and everything else was okay, only one head light would come on. Don't ask, crazy circuit design.

2. If you turn the headlights to ON and switch between high and low beams, does the high beam indicator on the instrument panel go on/off? If not, the problem is likely in the dimmer switch, not too uncommon on GM with a lot of miles and/or age. If the switch has broken internally, a common failure mode would be that it won't pass voltage to either the low or the high beams, nor would it send the high beam signal to the DRL module which outputs the signal to light the high beam indicator on the instrument panel.

To try and simplify, the headlight switch on the dash tells the DRL module if the lights are on or off, and sends power to the dimmer switch in the steering column. The dimmer switch then passes the power to the high or low beams, and also sends a signal to the DRL module telling it the high beams are on. The DRL module then turns on the high beam indicator in the instrument panel.

Just to be clear, the PARK lamps on the front do turn on and off with the dash headlight switch? If they do, that indicates the circuit breaker for the headlights is passing current as it feeds both the headlights and the park light circuit.

Let me know what the two tests above do, and you should have your answer. There is always the possibility that you have an open wire in the steering column, but unless some one has worked on the column, not as likely the issue.

• cww3 01/20/11 1:26 am PST

ok before i start checking these possibilities do you mean the dimmer switch that control my dash lights or something else if its a different switch would you happen to know the location? or is it actually in the steering column thanks again cww3 i hope am not being too much of dumbnally

• jlflemmons 01/20/11 8:23 am PST

If I understand correctly, the '95 model has the headlight switch on the dashboard, leftside, and the high/low beam switch is in the turn signal stalk. My age is showing. The High/Low headlight switch used to be referred to as a foot operated "dimmer" switch.

• cww3 01/20/11 11:58 pm PST

ok that makes since ) cant look at it today but i will first thing tomorrow. sure wish i had a heated garage to pull into instead of working in this cold well thanks again i will keep you informed cww3

• cww3 01/22/11 5:34 pm PST

i really think your last answer will be correct.the reason i think your correct is my wipers are acting up too, and they are on the same lever as my dimmer switch are) but havent got to it yet only 5 degrees outside thanks again cww3

• cww3 01/25/11 6:37 pm PST

i did take off the dimmer switch had to order one. boy those things are expensive once again i will keep you informed thanks again you been a great help cww3

• jlflemmons 01/25/11 9:10 pm PST

You are quite welcome, and yes, they are not cheap. But figure that the switch is over 15 years old, and you got a pretty good use out of it!

Jim

• cww3 01/27/11 11:06 pm PST

well that was the problem i now have headlights one of the metal connector was melted.

i now have headligths} first time in about a year.

this is so cool couldnt have done with out ya. dont kown what to say

keep up the great work.

thank again cww3

• jlflemmons 01/28/11 12:20 am PST

Glad you are now "enlightened"!

Jim

Top Chevrolet S-10 Experts View More

5. jlflemmons 110
7. scanman1 50