Answers

Does your engine turn free by hand? I have heard of timing chain guides breaking and jamming the engine. I've seen it happen just as you described. A long shot, but this is a weird situation.

Have you tried jump starts?

• kushwa 08/14/11 5:28 pm PST

Jumping it does nothing, tried it with three different vehicles. If the timing chain had gone I'm hoping it would turn over. Next time I'm near my truck I'll try turning it over by hand, unfortunately t's about 45 minutes away, so I only get to work on it on weekends.

Well if the chain is jammed by the chain guide, it won't turn over. I've seen this happen a couple times, especially on higher mileage engines.

• kushwa 08/22/11 8:58 pm PST

Tried turning the engine over by hand, it turns no problem. Like I said, turn the key one click. It sound slike the solenoid is stcuk, but I've swapped solenoids and starters same problem.

How 'bout the engine to frame ground strap?

• kushwa 08/23/11 12:31 pm PST

Cleaned all the cables I can get to. That one is probably the culprit since it is a bitch to get to.

Maybe you could temporarily hook up a single battery cable from engine to frame and see what happens.

I'm inclined to think the new starter is no good either, especially if your engine turns by hand and the relay actually clicks.

I'd also hook up a temporary battery cable from the battery to the starter since cables can corrode internally.

• kushwa 08/24/11 12:33 pm PST

The starter is good, as I had replaced just the solenoid on the "old" starter.
    Thought everything got fried got a new starter under warranty. Tried the starter before installing it, it spins like crazy. So I know it works out of the car, now why it doesn't work under neath the car.

If the hurricane doesn't fowl things up I may be able to test it with bypassed cables and see what happens.

Tried a remote starter but no luck, I may try that again because it was done a little haphazardly.

If you substitute a battery cable for the cable that comes from your battery to the solenoid, and you still just get a "click", it pretty much has to be the starter or some starter alignment issue perhaps. Do the battery cables get very hot when this happens? Do you get a light "click" or a heavy "clunk"?

• kushwa 09/04/11 5:01 pm PST

It sounds like a metal om metal clunk. So I pulled out the starter while it was still wired up. Starter turns out of the engine, so I guess all the wiring, ignition switch etc is good. Turned the engine over by hand and the flexplate was moving, so all engine internals are attached.
    Put the starter back in and it started! I let it run for a few minutes then shut it off. tried starting it again same thing 1 clcik. What the heck is going on?

Did you try the substitute battery cable and also grounding the engine to the chassis?

If so with no luck, I'm thinking there must be an alignment problem with the starter gear to the flywheel or the starter has a flat spot on the armature.

If there was excessive resistance in the neutral safety switch; it would make the starter click once; but there would not be enough power available to keep the solenoid engaged after that. I would replace the neutral safety switch.

Top Electrical Starter Experts View More

4. elias 55
6. ray80 50
7. zaken 50