Answers

You have no choice but the dealer or a wrecking yard. It's also a tough job for one person, so you'll have to plan on supporting the door and doing one hinge at a time. Not sure what you mean about the bolts. An air wrench is usually successful for this type of operation.

• tony78 07/18/09 10:17 pm PST

mr shiftright,, he is talking about the nut plate that is inside of the door hinge pillar, can they be accessed, ?

I'm really not sure what he means. Maybe someone has been in there before he bought the car? These hinges are known to rust out and wear out. If I were him, I think I'd order new hinges from the dealer and bring them to a body shop and let them do it. They can deal with any hassles and also align the hinges so there's a good door fit. An air wrench would be nice in any event.

• papagator 07/21/09 5:57 pm PST

This is Papa Gator with the solution found. I had to cut the existing hinge pins. They are made of the toughest metal. I replaced them both upper and lower on the drivers door. The process was simple once I started the task. The pins were less than $25.00 for the two of them. If anyone else has A similar problem just get the right set of hinge pins from A local parts house and be prepared to use your toughest saw blade. Support the door on some old tire rim and use A 2x4 for leverage. Good luck.

Okay good. You didn't mention that the hinge PINS were worn. You post suggested that the hinges themselves were "holed out". Entire hinges aren't sold at auto parts stores, so that's why I told you to go to the dealer. Anyway, you got it done, great job!

• tony78 07/23/09 6:05 pm PST

Forget i even tried to answer this question.

Although i got a laugh out of the old rim and 2x4.

• nwraaa 07/23/09 6:30 pm PST

When you find-out how to get to that inside nut so that it can be removed, let us know. The dealer is probably just going to replace the pin in the hinge. You find something to hold the door and you drill or cut the pin out and then tap in a new replacement pin. This is not that big a deal. The pin costs about $7.00. Complete door hinges in the junk yard are not bad. About half are sagging and half are still tight. The drivers door which is the door that seems to be the most problematic usually sags. I have asked the question about complete replacement of the drivers door hinge on the 1990 through 1997 Town Cars before and got no response. On the 1998 and later models, it is easy because they made the hole where the wires go through the door large enough so that you can get your hand and a wrench through to lossen the nut.

Top Auto Body Doors Experts View More