• avatar karjunkie 10/12/08 10:57 am PST

Normally, you would insert the key in the drivers door, turn left, then right to disarm and reset it. If yours is malfunctioning, you want to put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the start (AC) position. Then disconnect the positive battery terminal for a few seconds, reconnect it and then turn the key off. The alarm should not go on and you should be able to start the car without the alarm sounding. Good luck!

Answers

• frankg62 01/18/09 3:05 pm PST

I have a 1997 Jetta GL with the same problem, for no known reason the anti theft system went off after returning home one evening. Key in the driver door lock had no effect so I scrambled to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Next morning same thing so I began checking all doors and switches to no avail. Again disconnected the negative terminal and found this similar example for a 95 Jetta. Thought I would give the reset sequence a try and found when I reconnected the negative terminal a soft short beep came from the horn and the car started, somehow I reset the alarm by accident. After stopping the car and locking up, the system kicked in again. Locking the car arms the system, and the system is obviously faulty. My question, is the control unit my target or may there be a faulty switch that is triggering this? I’ve also noticed the dashboard switch to lock/unlock all doors from inside is not operating, maybe related?

Top Electrical Battery Experts View More