• avatar zaken1 02/19/09 1:38 am PST

From what you wrote; it sounds like either the starter solenoid or the starter motor is going bad. Since a new starter comes with a new solenoid; and it is probable that both of these parts are worn to a significant extent; I would recommend replacing the starter with a NEW starter (not a rebuilt one). You will need to know whether your car was manufactured before or after mid 1996; as the starter drive made before mid 1996 has 8 teeth; and the drives made after mid 1996 has 10 teeth.

Rock auto sells new starters for a lower price than many stores charge for rebuilt ones. I would recommend a BBB Precision starter from them, for that reason.

Source: www.rockauto.com

Answers

Source: www.rockauto.com

• julesp 02/19/09 2:53 am PST

Great advice from zaken1. I would also suggest you check and remove any corrosion build-up at the battery post and at the starter terminals. Over time, there is build-up and one day... nothing! Only a fraction of the battery's power is used to turn on the lights but, it draws a lot of cranking amps to start your car, a big difference in power demand and consumption. Hope we have helped you. Good fortune.

Source: Julesp

• medis1 02/19/09 2:33 pm PST

Thanks for the advice, now how difficult is to change the starter? I am pretty handy with wrenches and tools but I have not worked in this car yet. any advice?

I haven't worked on this particular starter; but it usually just involves removing two or three starter mounting bolts, and disconnecting the cables from the battery and ignition switch. The starter can then be lifted out; and the new one put in its place. Sometimes the mounting bolts are difficult to reach; in which case you might need a different shaped or different length wrench, or a wobble socket drive. But these specialized tools are fairly easy to get. You also may need to remove some other pieces, if there are some which are obstructing the process. But it is not generally regarded as a difficult or complicated job.

• medis1 02/22/09 3:13 am PST

Ok I have ordered a new starter BBB Percision from RockAuto as you all suggested, they have the lowest price for a quality part. I shpuld be getting the part and replacing it by the end this week. thanks for your help.

• medis1 02/24/09 8:07 pm PST

Well, here is update to the "No start" problem. After all the troubleshooting and testing and changing relays and battery, it was the ultimate one "the starter”. It is changed now and she is running fine. Thanks for your help.

Top Engine No start Experts View More