Answers

The correct diagnosis for the code is “Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve”. Most likely the problem is the Canister Purge Assembly. This assembly connects the intake manifold to the charcoal canister and the assembly is made up of hoses, a valve and a sensor. On your 1997 Ranger, it is located near the front of the engine compartment on the driver’s side. The canister is right behind the driver’s side headlight. Apparently, if there are any cracks in the hoses, or if the valve or the sensor wear out, this will cause the check engine light to come on and return the P1443 code. The part numbers for the canister purge solenoid/flow sensor assemblies depending on your engine are:

F57Z-9C987-AB Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
    Assembly - 2.3L
    F57Z-9C987-CA Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
    Assembly - 3.0L
    F57Z-9C87-BA Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
    Assembly - 4.0L

The assembly will cost between $70 - $100 depending on the exact part number that you need. It will only take 5 or 10 minutes to install the part, and it is fairly simple to do. The check engine light should clear itself after a few driving cycles.

• robert_g 11/15/09 2:47 am PST

I know the question is kinda old but since I just spent over 4 years and more than $400.00 trying to correct P1443, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth.

I have a 1997 Ranger with the 4 cyl engine. I had it to "emission specialists" many times and every time they said it had a different code and charged me more money, only to have it come on again after a few miles and they wouldn't tell me what the code was. I finally bought a code scanner and then found out the problem was with the emissions leg on the left side of the engine. I started with the vacuum hoses. I changed them all with no luck. Then I changed the cannister purge valve (the little valve nearest the cannister at the front of the engine (Napa part # 2-28205)) It was $58.00. No luck. So I took off the solenoid sitting behind it (nearest the manifold. and shot it with Berryman's B12 and let it soak a while. Then replaced it. At first I thought it worked because it stayed off for about 60 miles. But then it came back on. So I replaced it with a new one. I had to go to Ford for that one. (Ford part # F57Z-14A606-BA) That DID it! It's been several hundred miles now and a couple of weeks and it's still off. I also have a badly leaking fuel fill hose to the gas tank and it evidently doesn't trigger the light as I've read it does. It's getting a new hose next week.

Top Exhaust Emissions Experts View More