Answers

First of all; sorry to say but it sounds like you have the diagnosis backwards. If a fuel injected engine like yours dies out when you step on the accelerator; it is NOT "flooding out," it is starving for fuel. When you step on the accelerator in a fuel injected motor; it lets more air in; which leans out the fuel mixture. Backfiring through the intake confirms that it is starved for fuel. This is usually caused by a fuel filter that has clogged up. Please change the fuel filter.

I would also replace the intake air temperature sensor; which is a low priced part that often goes bad and causes the engine to run too lean like this.

• robert_at3 07/01/12 1:20 pm PST

Will do, how ever I was told by my brother in law that he changed it last September before we got it from him. If that is the case, anything else?

Please replace the intake air temperature sensor. I added this recommendation to my previous post, but you apparently read it before I made that change. Don't bother with the fuel filter if it has already been changed.

• robert_at3 07/01/12 2:12 pm PST

Would that sensor cause it to happen intermently like that?

I would definitely replace the intake air temperature sensor. Yes, this part can cause intermittent problems, and it is cheap to buy and easy to replace. There is another part which can cause similar intermittent problems. It is the small wiring harness for the fuel pump. This part is called the fuel pump wiring harness, and is known to be a bad design. For this reason, parts manufacturers recommend replacing the fuel pump wiring harness whenever the pump is changed. Major brand new fuel pumps for these models come with a new wiring harness in the box. You can also buy a new fuel pump wiring harness at good auto parts stores.

• robert_at3 07/01/12 9:32 pm PST

replaced the sensor but it still did it. Unhooked battery for 30 mins then reconnected it and it ran for an hour fine.

If the old sensor was triggering a trouble code in the computer; that code would have to be erased from the computer's memory before the sensor replacement would take effect. Disconnecting the battery temporarily clears codes; but they often come back when the car is driven. Only a code scanner can permanently erase codes. Sometimes a code will not trigger the check engine light; but it can still interfere with the running. This is why clearing the computer's memory is recommended when there are strange problems which don't respond to the usual solutions.

Top Fuel System Experts View More