Answers

which engine?

• seter 06/04/09 3:57 pm PST

2.0l

They aren't any marks really. You need to use special locking and spacing tools and have a workshop manual handy.

• seter 06/05/09 12:24 am PST

Thanks alot for your answer, but that doesn't really do me much good, I need to know how to get this motor running right now, and I have no idea what yoy mean by "special locking and spacing tools" and I don't have a shop manual here. The motor had to at least be timed at the factory even if it hasn't been timed since, and there has to be a ay to do that, that's what I need to know.

yes there's a way to do it, but it's not a diagram, it's a METHOD, and that requires lots of pictures, and special tools to lock the camshafts (or devising other ways to lock the camshafts). I can't do all that in this little box. Ford doesn't use little marks and grooves like on some other engines--you have to turn this a certain number of degrees, then turn THAT so that Bolt A lines up with Part B----like that--while setting chain tension and checking TDC and camshaft positions (and keeping the cams steady). So you need a workshop manual. There's no other easy way, so suck it up and get over to your public library. It's not so hard once you have the book in front of you--you can go step by step with it.

I did search for an online video or picture set for you on the Internet, but didn't see anything, sorry. This engine has its own method.

• seter 06/09/09 1:41 pm PST

I had to send to kentucky for timing belt idlers. Mean while i keep hearing about an interference engine. What is an easy way to tell if the valves came in contact with the pistons.

Not so easy to tell. Of course with the belt off if you try to spin the camshafts and they won't turn, that would tell you the valves are severely bent--but that would be extreme. You can also, with the belt off, check your valve clearances if you have adjustable valves---the gap will be quite wide since the valve won't seat.

With the belt on, just do a compression test.

If you have an interference engine, and if the belt broke while driving, you probably do have bent valves.

Top Ford Contour Experts View More

7. detharius 10