• avatar snowball2 09/30/09 9:42 pm PST

the filter is not serviceable in this trans unless you remove the trans and disassemble the trans
    how are the motor mounts

Answers

Sluggish shifting is usually a sign of low ATF fluid. How does the transmission fluid look? I assume you checked this first. It should be cherry red in color and at the right level on the dipstick with the engine warm, running and in park position on level ground. Before you go to other more extreme treatments, why don't you try a plain old ATF fluid and filter change first? If the fluid is more than 2 years old it is time for this anyway. Try replacing the old ATF with a high quality synthetic ATF fluid like Mobil1 or Castrol as they are a bit slippery than the regular ATF Fluid and have additives that will further help clean deposits out and improve MPG efficiency. DO NOT do a power flush, just a simple drain, filter change and new fluid. If this does not resolve the issue, then you may want to run some diagnostics, but don't spend a lot of $$$$ when a simple fluid and filter change may be all you need! Good luck!

• kamster50 09/30/09 2:40 pm PST

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions. I had my usual maintenance done just a few hundred miles back and they and I check the ATF level. It seemed fine. Perhaps I should try getting the ATF changed. If this does not work, I don't plan on doing anything else...it already had 166600 miles on it. I'll drive it and let it die slowly!

• snowball2 09/30/09 9:42 pm PST

how are the motor mounts

• kamster50 10/02/09 12:32 pm PST

Hmmmm....does a broken engine mount cause transmission problems? I had in the past had an engine mount problem. I spoke to the Honda service manager and he suggested I get the fluid changed and the filter too. I think I'll try that...thanks for your suggestion too.