• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 03/16/13 11:35 am PST

ah, too bad but help is on the way! I think it's in the lock, yeah...can't say for sure but your ability to jiggle things around and get it to work suggests that.

Answers

What happens if you move the gearshift lever in and out of the Park position a few times? (jiggle the lever from Park to Reverse and back).

Sounds like some problem with the shift-interlock system.

• pam79 03/15/13 12:01 pm PST

Mr.Shiftright,

Thank you for your response. Yes tried that and grafite, tapping the ignition switch jiggleing the key, moving the steering wheel up and down, putting the emergency brake on and off and pulling related fuses in and out. Ever since the transmission got replaced (days ago) this problem has gone from occassionally getting stuck to occassionally coming out. Like yesterday it came out once and I tried it again and stuck again. It came out this morning when I got home from work and I'm afraid later when I need to go out it will get stuck again. I'm thinkung new ignition switch but wondering if that is something I can tackle,,,thanks again
    (oh yeah, the steering wheel won't lock when the key gets stuck)

Okay I'm wondering, since you JUST had the transmission done, if your gear shift lever is "off" and is not going fully into Park.

Here's a description of how the system works in your car:

"COLUMN LOCK CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
    The steering column electric park lock prevents the ignition key from being turned to the LOCK position from the RUN, BULB TEST, or START position, when the transaxle is in a non-PARK position. Once the vehicle is shifted out of the PARK position, the park position switch opens de-energizing the steering column electric park lock.

The mechanical lock within the ignition lock cylinder disables the ignition key from moving so the key cannot be taken out of the cylinder. Battery voltage is supplied to the park position switch through circuit 1600 when the ignition key is in the RUN, BULB TEST, or START position. When the shifter is in the PARK position, the park position switch within the automatic transaxle control closes, supplying voltage through circuit 1134 to the steering column electric park lock energizing it. When the steering column electric park lock is energized it pulls the mechanical lock in the ignition key cylinder away from the cylinder allowing the ignition key to be turned to the LOCK position and be taken out of the cylinder.

• maffei13 03/16/13 4:17 am PST

Thanks again for the reply. That was quite a lot of info and between that and the repair manual I got today, I am getting a little more knowlege of my car

. Just went out to try it again and something you said about battery voltage and gears not locking.
    I turn it on and went through the gears making sure each one engaged and was going to disconnect the battery til I got off work.
    Started to mess with the "shifter"its not on the column kind and the button top where you push to move it well, kind of messed with it and the key came out.
    Afraid to try it again but eventually will need to. I don't know if this is a fix it or if its something more.
    I will keepyou posted thanks!!

• maffei13 03/16/13 4:51 am PST

Okay, the last couple of times after shutting the car off , and it won't release the key... I've put on emergency brake and tried going through gears and when I pull the knob thing with the button, (I can almost pull it off (easily)) After that the key comes out but I'm also moving the steering wheel.

The doors lock and unlock and the car is not even on when I'm moving the gearshift. Does that make sense? I hope I'm explaining it okay.

it sounds like something is sticking or hanging up inside the lock mechanism.

• maffei13 03/16/13 11:24 am PST

Hello,

well it seems to be working lifting the knob up this last time it kind of came off the stick but moving that part around and moving the steering wheel releases the key. So I'm wondering if its ignition problem, transmission or what kind of problem?
    Well, if case you haven't had a morning laugh yet and If I wasn't so tired and darn drained from all of these problems with my I'd be embarrassed to say but it's pass all to comical.
    Get home from work, remember I said I don't have the remote thing and only have ignition key?? Yep, somehow accidently hit something and the car has locked me out!!
    No I am not blonde but definitely showings signs lol!!! Thanks for all your help. I'm waiting on the road side service now thank God it at least happened when I got home =) Have a great day and thankyou again

Top Steering Experts View More