• avatar morin2 07/15/10 9:17 pm PST

If it was the original first-generation dexcool from the initial factory fill, then yes, I would re-do. The coolant you bought may be compatible with other coolants sold today - but the original dexcool was a different story. The later generation dexcool was significantly improved - and if you had that done in the last few years, then I'd say that you might be ok - provided that you periodically check for signs of that yellow-brown solid forming. It will be apparent in the hoses, in the radiator, and even in the overflow tank. You really can't miss that yellow-brown crud forming around the sides.

I use distilled water because our well water is very hard. The well water is great to drink and great for aquariums - but terrible for coolant and car washing.

Answers

Hard to say. But your partial drain was not an adequate coolant service. You drain initially just as you did, then refill with water (heater controls on) and run the engine until the thermostat opens. Let it cool enough to repeat the drain process. Continue to do this (drain, refill, run, drain, etc) several times until the water runs clear and all the old coolant is flushed out. If its been more than 3 years since your last flush, then you should add a radiator cleaner to the water and follow the instructions on the package. Your last flush after it runs clear is best done with distilled water, then drain. This leaves distilled water in the block. Look up your cooling system capacity. Then add enough quarts of pure coolant to the radiator with hose attached to achieve a final concentration of 50%. If there is still some room left to go, fill the rest with more distilled water. You want a final concentration of 50 to 55%, no more, no less. Do the same for your overflow tank. You can buy distilled water for 69 cents or so a gallon at Walgreen or Walmart. Get several jugs.

The old dexcool does not play well with others and is extremely sensitive to air in the system. You can see what it does by putting some in a peanut butter jar & bubbling air into it with an aquarium stone & pump. It turns into a nasty yellow-brown solid overnight.

I recommend starting over and devoting enough time to do the job carefully. I suspect that your antifreeze concentration is too high because you replaced 50% coolant with 100% coolant.

BTW, I devote a day to do this. There's a lot of waiting around for the engine to warm up and the thermostat to open and then time wasted waiting for it to cool down enough that you don't burn yourself (too badly) - so I'll schedule other jobs around this. If nothing else, its a good time to clean the garage.

• johnny340 07/15/10 9:08 pm PST

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't entirely clear on my description of what I did. The drain part was as I said though, but I did leave the heater at full hot on the previous shut down. The fact that there was no drain plug made it a hassle, so that explains the lack of flushing. When I did add the coolant I did ensure that I had it diluted 50/50 with water (which is very soft in this area). The coolant says that it is 'Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant' and mentions in three separate places on the lable that it mixes with "ANY" extended life or regular coolant and should be changed within 5 years.
    So, I realize that I didn't get all of the old antifreeze out but it must have been close because 5 gallons of coolant mixture when back in. Secondly, this product says it is compatible with all other antifreeze types. Is it worthy of an immediate redo or will I be OK for a couple years?

Top Heating / Cooling Experts View More