• avatar karjunkie 11/23/08 6:34 am PST

From what you said, you clearly have a bad fuel pump. It may run a bit, but it is 99% dead. A modern fuel pump has to run at very high pressure. Normally, you would have more than 35 psi at the fuel rail if the pump was good. .

Answers

It's not clear what you did. You changed the fuel pump and put a new one in and it still won't start?? Did you replace the fuel filter? Did you disconnect in front of the filter or before the filter?

• obyone 11/22/08 7:56 am PST

Did you replace the filter while changing the pump?

• snoofy 11/22/08 9:37 pm PST

Sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator. I just looked at a '99 Siverado where the regulator went bad. It sits on or near the fuel rail. You need to remove the vacuum line from it and see if there is gas in the vacuum line, if yes then replace. Then apply vacuum to the regulator and see if you can draw fluid into your vacuum pump, if you can the regulator is also bad. If you think the regulator is good, then you should verify that the vacuum hose you disconnected is actually applying vacuum, if not find out where the vacuum leak is. If all this fails, then you should be looking for a pinched off or kinked fuel return line. Its the line running from the fuel rail and heading back to the tank.

• jeff2499 11/23/08 3:57 am PST

I DISCONNECTED THE FILTER AND REMOVED IT. NO PRESSURE WHEN I TOOK IT OFF. CRANKED ENGINE AND JUST A SMALL AMOUNT OF GAS CAME OUT OF THE LINE.ALSO REMOVED THE VACUME LINE FRM FUEL REGULATOR AND IT WAS DRY. THE FUEL PUMP WILL RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS WHEN I PUT THE FILTER BACK ON TRIED THIS SEVERAL TIMES THEN WENT TO THE FUEL RAIL AND THERE IS NO PRESSURE RELEASED WHEN I DEPRESS THE VALVE( I DONT HAVE A GAUGE SO I JUST PRESSED THE VALVE DOWN AND NOTHING CAME OUT)

• jonez3 07/26/09 10:49 am PST

Check your ground,that was a issue with one of mine. Also the intake gasket goes out with high miles.....use either to check for vacum leaks.Remember....in this case with no fuel or low fuel check grounds and vacum leaks.

Top Fuel System Experts View More