• avatar karjunkie 02/11/09 3:07 pm PST

First of all, you need to find out where nearly 5 quarts of oil went! If the oil was changed and at the right level at 136K miles, you either have a huge leak or are burning a lot of oil. If you have no leaks and not burning oil as you say, I suspect they forgot to add oil when they did the work. Did you check the oil when the work was done? The good news is that if your bearings had suffered you would be hearing them by now. Bad bearings sound pretty bad. Main bearing noise is like a deep knocking sound in the engine and its usually a lot worse when you first start it up cold until the oil pressure comes up. So if you hear no knocking I suspect that miraculously no damage was done. Some oil had to be circulating in that engine or it would have overheated and siezed completely.

Answers

No it couldn't run that far with 1/2 quart of oil in it, but it might have been low on oil from the get-go, and it might have had a defective oil warning light from the get-go.

So you got no oil warning light at any time? That's very strange.

Given the 3000 mile interval between the repair and the engine breakdown, and given that the repair has no relation to the problem except for the oil change, and given the miles on the engine, it's going to be just about impossible for you to prove anything---even if the shop did screw up.

If your oil warning light never went "ON", then I'd say it's not working or got disconnected. Again, who can say whose fault that is? The cars? Yours for not noticing? the mechanic for not noticing or for pulling the wire off?

It's a sorry mess but not much you can do unless you pay some expert to tear down the engine and look for something suspicious----that might be a loose part, or lots of "sealing goop" that the mechanic used too much of, thereby sucking it into the oil galleys and plugging up the lubrication system.

But even that doesn't explain the loss of oil.

It's very mysterious as to why your oil warning light didn't go on long before your bearings were destroyed.

• scoot9 02/11/09 4:48 pm PST

Karjunkie and Mr Shiftright, thanks for your input

The bearings sound exactly like you say karjunkie, it worse at first but it still knocks real bad later.. But at this point it’s setting. The mechanic was the one who told me that it was a bearing and I basically will need another engine, $3,200 at their cost for an engine with 65,000 miles.

Mr shiftright, the car never run hot staying slightly less than half way point and the oil light never come on until I pulled over and stopped with the engine still running. But when I took off again the oil light went back off. So, sure it’s not operating properly. And yes, it seems to be strange to me as well. And you are correct, I probably can’t prove anything.

I plan to go back to the garage and speak to the manager and see if they will assume some responsibility. I have done business with them and they do seem to be good people. But it’s a large sum of money to assume fault.

Thanks for your input

Scoot

Top Engine Engine oil Experts View More