Answers

When the gearbox fault light comes on and it goes into limp home the transmission stays in a fixed third or fourth gear. The problem sounds like it is most likely mechanical inside the transmission but since the light is on you should have the vehicle scanned for stored codes just in case it is a sensor or electrical failure. You will need to go to a shop to have these codes read. Some auto parts stores like Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts offer a free scan but may not have the right scan tools. If not, you will need to find a transmission shop with the proper diagnostic equipment. Some of the larger chains offer a free diagnostic as well. If you get it scanned, come back and we will try and help you with a diagnosis. Good luck!

• kbeerden 04/01/09 9:38 pm PST

I have the same car & year.Sorry to say your transmission went in to limp home mode ( locked up in 3 gear) . I had the same proplem and had to get my transmissiom rebuilt cost me $4800.00 with Cottman. Jaguar wanted $7500 ++