• avatar 0patience 09/02/09 4:27 pm PST

Have someone check the torque converter to flywheel bolts and tighten them.
    It is very common for the flexplate (flywheel) bolts that hold the torque converter to loosen over time.

That would be my first check.
    My next check would be to make sure all the u-joints are in good shape and not worn out.

If that isn't it, then you will need to get down and dirty and crawl under the vehicle (park brake on and tires blocked of course) and start shaking things to see if anything is making noises.

Then fix the obvious things first.

Answers

Well I was going to say "engine pinging" when you were talking about its relation to the gas pedal, but that would make no sense if it happens when hitting potholes----so, since we can't hear it from here, I'd suggest getting the car up on a lift and running it and listening for the noise--this will also give you the chance to check the suspension. It might be that the two noises are not related. Only other detail I could think of is the springs that hold the brake pads might be vibrating.

• 0patience 09/02/09 4:27 pm PST

That would be my first check.

Then fix the obvious things first.

Oh I hadn't thought about a cracked flex plate...that's an interesting suggestion.

You can reply in this thread by clicking the Answer this Question button and that will help keep all the information in one spot. Thanks!

Top Transmission Automatic Experts View More

4. fordfan_17 840