Answers

hard to say from this distance but if you are concerned, I'd pull a wheel off, check the brake caliper bolts, and then snug up all the lug nuts once again. You could have various issues, some minor, some more serious---possibly a binding front strut bearing, a worn tie rod, a missing wheel alignment spacer....many possibilities. But for peace of mind, at least check your lug nuts and caliper bolts.

• lvmycrazylab 08/01/09 7:25 pm PST

Thanks for your response. I did notice the boot is cracking, but not split. Would this cause the clunk? The clunk happens when you turn the wheel to the left when the car is just rolling (but sometimes it doesn't make the noise, either), but more noticeable when the car is stationary. It clunks all the time when you turn the wheel in park.

It's very possible, now that you mention the split boot, that you have a bad CV joint on that side. In any event, the split boot should be fixed before you take off. It's not easy to spot a bad CV joint---you have to remove it, clean it, and inspect it, and by that time you might as well just put another one in as part of an "axle kit". You might price the cost of just replacing the boot, against the cost of installing a ready-to-go axle kit, with new CV joints and boots. Don't accept rebuilt axle kits from China however. Half of them are no good.

• lvmycrazylab 08/02/09 3:00 pm PST

Mr Shiftright, thank you for taking the time to come back to my question.

A month ago I had the other boot replaced, I'm a bit annoyed they didn't look at the driver side too. I've decided to be at the Jeep service center when they open Monday morning and crossing my fingers to leave for vacation Monday afternoon.

Many thanks, it's really appreciated.
    -Kim

The split boot may have nothing to do with the clunk in the front while turning since this axle won't turn when you are in 2WD. These could be two separate issues in other words. But still, you want that split boot fixed at least. Have them check the front suspension for anything loose or suspicious.

• lvmycrazylab 08/03/09 12:20 pm PST

Update : Just returned from Jeep Service Center. They were fully booked without any cancellations but were able to squeeze me in. I wanted to update this in case anyone else has the same clunk.

The axle boot is cracking, but they told me that could wait till after vacation, no sign of leakage. My Jeep is QuadraDrive so it's in four wheel drive all the time.

I noticed about a month ago, my steering wasn't as tight, it seemed a bit looser...I was told by my husband I was crazy, it was always that way. Well it's tight again!!! I hate to say it to him, but I was right, at least this one time, lol.

Now the clunk. Their were two things going on, a clunk in the steering wheel, and the clunk in the front driver side tire (I thought they were related originally), only when turning the steering wheel to the left. Of course when I was at the service center the darn tire wouldn't clunk for the guy, but clunked for me in the parking lot before going in. I ended up having a loose upper tie rod, which they replaced, everything else looks good. The boot is starting to crack but not enough to do it today. I've scheduled that appt for after vacation. I guess they did make note of it in their computer on my last oil change to keep an eye on the axle boot.

There was also a clunk in the steering wheel, more of a snap type noise. They replaced the air bag clock spring. (at least that's what I think i'm reading on the paperwork)
    Then they also did an alignment. So the damage wasn't that bad on the Jeep or my purse, $490.09 and it's not clunking, steering tight and running beautifully again.

I can't thank you enough, Mr Shiftright !!! I've read this website before troubleshooting minor problems with my Jeep but never posted for help....I couldn't be happier. Now, i'm home to update this question, grab the dog, the hubby and OFF WE GO !!!!

With great appreciation,
    Kim

Okay, good to go. Have a nice vacation, and I'm glad you got that tie rod fixed. That's a safety concern for sure!

Top Suspension Experts View More