Answers

• 0patience 02/01/08 8:13 pm PST

uhm, did anyone perform this TSB?
    This is probably the cure for your vehicle, unfortunately it isn't likely to be covered under warranty, so it will be your dime.

My concern is that all this stuff was replaced and not one place knew enough to know that this was a common problem???

Bulletin No.: 01-02-32-001J
    Date: June 08, 2007
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Clunk Felt/Noise Heard From Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front Of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate or Replace Intermediate Shaft As Appropriate)
    Models:
    2001-2004 Buick Regal
    2005-2007 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse
    1997-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
    2000-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
    1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    1997-2005 Pontiac Sunfire
    2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix
    Condition
    Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360°of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft which results in a slip stick condition possibly resulting in the clunk noise.
    Correction
    Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.
    Replace the existing steering intermediate shaft using the service procedure found in Service Information. The remaining vehicles listed below will still need to have the current I-shafts re-lubricated. New I-shafts will be released later in 2007 for some of the remaining vehicles.

Shaft assembly - Steering gear Part number 25829294 00-05 Impala

• recdave 02/02/08 4:10 pm PST

I did replace the Intermediate steering shaft (ISS)

• recdave 09/13/09 2:54 pm PST

Problem was gear in starter. Gear would hit flywheel when turning right.

• senorpuffpuff 09/22/12 10:28 pm PST

How did you stop it from hitting the flywheel? I noticed the same thing and was thinking it was something that would make my wheels fall off lol, thank god it's such a stupid thing.

• damos 10/12/12 9:09 pm PST

I recently had my transmission rebuilt about six weeks ago and haven't had any problems since. i have an 05 impala by the way. now i am experiencing a low whining noise upon slight acceleration. once i get on the freeway it goes away. but low speeds i seem to notice it. i have the same situation as above about when i turn, the wheels crackles like it got arthritis!!. i thought it was the CV joints need replacing as well. i don't know if its all related or not. but seems pretty similar to your situation

Top Chevrolet Impala Experts View More

6. ray80 60
7. davelove1 50