• avatar karjunkie 05/16/10 8:52 am PST

If you have a check engine light on, the place to start would be to get a free scan at your local auto parts store for any trouble codes stored in the jeep's computer. If not, I suspect the issue is an ignition problem and not fuelrelated, given that the jeep dies suddenly and with no warning. My first step would be to replace the crankshaft position sensor. The CPS sensor commonly does what you describe when it begins to go bad. Works fine with a cold engine but fails as the engine heats up. It's a $40 part and fairly easy to replace yourself as it has a snap on connector and one bolt holding it on. On the 4.0L It's on the bell housing of the flywheel. Open the hood, look from drivers side past the engine toward the rear of the vehicle (past firewall). Google the picture of what it looks like and you'll see it at 2 o'clock position on the bell housing. I'd suggest a ratcheting crescent wrench to take it off. On the 4.7L it is on the side of the block, in front of the flywheel.

Answers

• twohillfour 05/16/10 3:11 pm PST

Thank you for the response - we will give that a try. We just had the transmission overhauled and now this....there is also an aftermarket alarm system on the vehicle and wondering if that could also hold some answers. It caused a non start issue last year, but I know my daughter does not use it anymore. I am also going to look at the wires in the door area to see if we have some broken ones....

Top Jeep Grand Cherokee Experts View More