Answers

This sounds like either the crankshaft position sensor, or the camshaft position sensor is defective. If the starter now does not engage, the battery terminals may also need cleaning; or the battery may need replacement. The fact that you were able to make the engine crank when bypassing the ignition switch suggests that the neutral safety switch may also be defective. But the sensors mentioned above would be the cause of the engine shutting off and not getting spark.

• leeann4162002 01/28/11 8:36 pm PST

I have a 2003 dodge grand caravan sport that was doing the same thing. I was driving down the roar and all of a sunnden it has shut off like I had turned the key off. After replacing the camshaft, the crankshaft sensor and several other things, I learned that it was the computer. They are hard to find cause the numbers have to match, and you also have to take them to the dealership to have it flashed (program the new computer with the vin number) and it seems to be running smoothly now. Hope this helps.

Top Electrical Wiring Experts View More