Answers

• dieseldaryl 01/22/08 5:24 pm PST

If this car has a manual transmission it could be the switch on your clutch pedal. Or automatics have a switch also telling your ecm it is in neutral on the shifter.

• aznraptor 01/22/08 7:02 pm PST

were there any problems before this?
    I would think its something more of an ecm type issue since the alternator works when you jump start it but not when you turn the key
    The other possibility is something to do with fuel but that seems unlikely for now

• bpari005 01/22/08 9:34 pm PST

Definately electrical. When you turn on the key to the run position do all of your accessories work? Radio a/c windows and all. If not I would be looking for a blown fuse under the hood that feeds the ignition cylinder. They will be approx. 1" square. If fuse is blown I would definately be looking for bare wires under the dash. Good Luck

• jstark3 01/24/08 10:47 am PST

I have figured it out. Thanks for your suggestions. By the way it is the ignition lock cylinder. The security light is flashing when the key is in the run position. The temporary fix was to turn the key to the run position and wait for 10 minutes. The security light turned off. Then i turned the key to off for 10 seconds and it fired right up. Like i said I think this is only a temporary fix and i will need to replace the cylinder. Again thank you.

• wrusaw 03/15/08 5:26 am PST

I also have a 2002 Pont Grand AM that once in a while won't start. It will if it gets towed. However, someone else posted the following on a web site and I thought it was this one...........

Put the key in the ignition and turn to the ACC position for a full 10 minutes. It then starts up for me; however, it may take 3 tries to get it to start.

I hope this helps you.

Mahalo,
    Wendi

• candyjar 03/15/08 7:11 pm PST

you just think you have it figured out, this problem will keep rearing its ugly head until you disable your passlock system. besides you have to be getting tired of waiting ten minutes everytime you want to go somewhere. check in the forum under grand am then click on "passlock problems". Look through and you will find exact instructions on how to do it. its really easy, fast, and best of all free.I had so many issues till I finally just cut that stupid wire. So now I have no anti theft system, but at least the car works!

• ragtopbmr 03/21/08 9:30 pm PST

trade it in my friend

• wheels750 01/31/10 2:44 pm PST

Common problem.Its the passlock security system.Try turning the key to run and leave it for 10 minutes and then turn it off and remove the key then start the car.The problem will come back.
    Here is the instructions to bypass passlock:http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurit
    yfix.htm

Or you can purchase this:http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/
    GM_PASSLOCK_BYPASS_INTERFACE_FOR_REMOTE
    _STARTS_TYPE_II__CLASS_p_255.html

Top Electrical Ignition Experts View More