• avatar dodgetrukn 03/07/13 7:42 am PST

Heat off, ran the engine with reservoir filler cap loose for 15 mins, sometimes reving the engine ~ 1500rpm. Then turned on heater from cold setting and fan on HIGH for 10 mins. Temp went up to 132F from last test of ~ 112F.. Turned off engine, checked antifreeze level, was still in range, re-tightened cap. Wifey sent me smiley face text this morning after her ride to work as she says it's working "finally".... thanks all for your inputs. Was definitely the thermostat as it was always cool..and I learned that I needed to "burp" the system with the reservoir cap off for a bit. thanks all again.. Ger.

Answers

• stevendt 03/05/13 10:07 pm PST

Heater core could be faulty

• dodgetrukn 03/06/13 6:51 am PST

Temp was up to 112F late this evening as I tested the heat again. Noticed I needed to add ~ 12 oz of antifreeze. Maybe it's actually going to work a bit better as the system purged any air in the system. When using A/C the blower screams fast..but put on heat and seems about half speed on same fan setting. Anyway, wifey seemed a bit happy yesterday morning on her 15 min drive to work as she had some heat going about a block or so from the house after idling ~ 10 mins in driveway.

• ray80 03/06/13 8:12 am PST

Not sure on the Saturn but other GM vehicles have bleed screws to purge air out of system, was this done after changes made?

• dodgetrukn 03/06/13 8:33 am PST

On my 2002, I understand that this is an automatic bleed system since the fill container is at the highest point in the system and air would naturally go to the top of the system, located on the passenger side of the vehicle. There is NO radiator cap on the radiator. I'll check the coolant level later when wifey gets home to see if the fill level dropped any again..

• ray80 03/06/13 9:59 am PST

Ok, perhaps a daily check on coolant level would work, or run it for a while warmed up and watching/adding coolant as needed with heater on full and vehicle on level ground.

• texases 03/06/13 10:57 am PST

Also check that the 'blend doors' in the ventilation system are working correctly. If they are, and if the system's bled correctly of air, and if there's no valve in the heater line, then it's the heater core (plugged).

• dodgetrukn 03/06/13 11:03 am PST

I just read that when auto-bleeding the system, i was to keep fill cap OFF till ~ 15 mins or to temp ~ 188F and Then I should turn on full heat and see if more air burps out of the system. I had left cap ON-tightened while "air bleeding" the system. I did have the cap loosened last night for a while, maybe I just need to do it a bit longer..I'll find out tonight. thanks for all the suggestions..

• dodgetrukn 03/07/13 7:42 am PST

• ray80 03/07/13 8:57 am PST

Good the hear. The only thing remining is to keep an eye on coolant level for a while to ensure there isn't a leak somwhere

Top Heating / Cooling Heater Experts View More

7. alaskanj 120