• avatar texases 03/25/12 1:34 pm PST

I don't think there's a relay in the circuit. It could be a fuse, it could be a switch (maybe), or a bad motor (that's what happened to mine), or a bad connector. Probably have to take off the door panel to find out.

Answers

• bornindetroit 03/28/12 2:38 pm PST

Answer to my own question as to how to close a "broken" power window: Since the window was stuck in the down position I decided to try it myself rather than tape plastic over the window, a really tacky temporary fix. With pointers from an old answer I found as to how to take a door apart I found the hidden screws and then was able to easily pull the door panel. I could then see the 4 bolts that held the window motor assembly. The motor seemed seized but did warm when I tried to work it with the switches, indicating that it was getting current. To raise the window, I removed the motor assembly and then unscrewed the drive unit from it to allow the lift arm back to the up position. One must be careful here because of tension in the coil balance spring. I was then able to push the window all the way up, engage the arm in the window track and re-bolt the re-assembled motor assembly, effectively locking the window closed and thanks to my A/C which works fine, drive and park the car safely. If I decide to purchase a new window motor assembly, I feel confident I could install it myself. In 2010 I had the other passenger power window repaired for the same problem and it cost me $631. The window works but I can't control it from the driver's seat. That would have been another $400, they said at the time. I don't think it's worth it for an 11 year old car to pay that much for window repairs. Thanks to texases for his answer.

Sounds like you have it figured out. I'd look at rockauto.com if you decide to fix it, they'll have the parts you need.

Top Electrical Power Windows Experts View More

6. Mr_Shiftright 75