• avatar laltazan 07/04/11 8:44 am PST

The throttle body wiring harness can cause this problem, as can several other things. When the input sensors on the accelerator disagree with the output from the throttle body, the PCM will go to reduced power mode. A bad connection at the throttle body is a common cause. A bad throttle body, accelerator sensor or several other things can cause the same issue.

The harness may also be able to be repaired, if this is the problem. This problem is normally intermittent and may not occur again for several weeks. You might seek a second opinion from an independent service shop or another dealership.

Good Luck

Answers

• laltazan 07/04/11 8:44 am PST

Good Luck

• swhouston 07/04/11 9:45 am PST

laltazan

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply.

I have done quite a bit of research on this issue, and personally knew that the "wire/connection" could be repaired. But, that was after it was towed in, and I was told that the Harness would have to be replaced.
    If you/anyone knows what the Harness/Labor cost to replace, I would appreciate that information very much. I'm sorta stuck at the moment, given that a Holiday is today, and I can't call the Dealer and see if some repair can be done, other than replacing what seems to be an exorbitantly expensive part.

Thank you again,
    S.W.

• swhouston 07/20/11 1:09 pm PST

Just wanted to give a followup on this problem.

Got the Throttle Body Harness/Plug replaced, and it seemed to be
    ok for a while. The Harness and Labor cost $670.00

But, it happened again, Reduced Engine Power on display, and
    Check Engine light was on as well. I returned it to the Dealer, who
    couldn't find anything wrong with it. Gees was I disappointed
    after spending all that money !

If I would/could just operate this vehicle on the city streets, it
    wouldn't be all that bad, just pull over and restart the vehicle.
    That seemed to work (too get the message to go away) one
    time. But, if I'm on the Freeway, and have to operate it at
    10 mph, trying to get out of the way of high speed traffic...uooo!

I called GM about this, and they literally refused to comment on
    it, beyond saying that an Overheating Problem could cause it.
    Then, referred me back to the Dealer, who they said was keeping
    all the "records" on that issue. BUNK !

The Dealer has NO idea of how to deal with this problem, or if
    they do, they sure aren't telling me.

I'll probably be back on-line here to do followups as time passes.

• juswannaride 04/14/12 4:16 pm PST

I had this problem also. Went to the Chevrolet dealer and paid $400.00 because they said it was the throttle body harness wires. Well, after about 4 days, the reduced engine power light came on again. The dealer didn't help me because they didn't know what the problem was after I went back to them. The problem ended up being I needed a new battery. No more problems after that.

Top Electrical Wiring Experts View More