• avatar karjunkie 08/27/10 1:10 pm PST

Before spending more money on it, take it down to your local auto parts store and ask for a free OBDII scan to see what codes come up. If you get codes, come back here and we can help you decipher possible cures to the problem. If your mechanic was correct and they could not read codes, it is possible that the ECU needs to be replaced, but don't assume anything till someone else tries to get a reading. In many cases the problem on these vans is a bad ground connection or a bad crankshaft position sensor. Check your negative ground cable that connects to the battery to make sure the connection to the ground point on the chassis or engine is clean good and tight. If the engine fails to start when the engine is hot but usually starts when cold, the CPS sensor is probably in need of replacement. It is relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Answers

• tomochandayo 08/27/10 1:36 pm PST

At first I thought that maybe it was when the car was hot, but the more it happened, the more random it was. Once, it was night, and I had to sit there and wait 1 hour at a gas station before it started again. Another time, at night, it didnt start, i ended up having to leave the car, and when I came back the next day during the day when its really hot (i live in texas by the way) it started fine. The both times that the car stopped while I was driving were right after I started the car and left, not even five minutes. Sometimes it doesnt start and starts up five minutes later. Its to the point where I dont like to go to the store or anything in fear of it not starting. It didnt start on me at the gas station after i pumped gas the other day too. Its just really random. But I will run it by an auto parts store to have them test it and let you know.

OK, have the codes checked, but from what you just said, I'm pretty sure it's the crankshaft position sensor.

• kbroc 09/29/11 1:30 pm PST

I am having the same exact issue with our 2003 Chrysler Town n Country Limited. Can you tell me how you resolved this issue?

Top Engine Experts View More