• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 04/18/09 7:41 pm PST

Trim Panel Replacement - Lift Gate

Removal Procedure

1. Remove upper trim panel.
    2. Pry gently with a thin-bladed tool in order to release the clips.
    3. Slide the trim panel upward to disengage mounting hooks.
    4. Remove the trim panel from the liftgate.

Installation Procedure

1. Position the trim panel to vehicle.
    2. Slide the trim panel downward to engage mounting hooks.
    3. Install the upper trim panel.
    4. Install the pull strap.

Once you are in there, you should be able to see the lock actuator and also how it works. I think it is fired electrically of course and then a cable pulls on the lock.

I know you are going to ask me if you can get the panel off with the tail gate locked and the answer is I don't know. Are you saying the key also doesn't work from the outside?

Answers

Trim Panel Replacement - Lift Gate

Removal Procedure

1. Remove upper trim panel.

Installation Procedure

1. Position the trim panel to vehicle.
    3. Install the upper trim panel.
    4. Install the pull strap.

• drtolson 04/20/09 5:27 pm PST

Thanks Mr. Shiftright, you got me traveling in the right direction. My 2003 Denali does not have a manual unlock from the outside, but I was able to take your advise of taking off the panel to see the lock mechanism. It was one of those things that you couldn't be afraid to pull on, but I finally got it off without the hatch door opened. I did see how the lock works. When I clicked my remote unlock or lock, I could hear a slight click in the lock mechanism. My guess is that it has gone bad; unless there is a way to open it and repair it. In the absense of that, I suspect that I have to replace it. It is not exactly clear to me how to remove it. Are you able to point me to an exploded sketch that shows how to remove and reinstall, or is there a way to repair these mechanisms?

Thanks again!

It just says to unplug the lock actuator from its wires and remove the bolts that hold the acuator on. The diagram I have is not very helpful. Stare at it again and see if it's just a matter of a couple bolts.

• drtolson 04/23/09 10:46 am PST

You have answerd my original question, which I am thankful for, but can you believe that GM doesn't just sell the lock actuator by itself. You have to purchase the entire bracket and wires that the actuator sits on, which is more than $300 for a part that I know the Chinese probably manufactures for about $10 bucks. I've been looking in junk yards, but here lately they are living up to their names :-).

Thanks again, and I may send a new post to see if anyone is aware of an aftermarket shop that sells the GM lock actuators. I have found a couple websites that sell a universal actuator, but just looking at the picture, I can tell that I will have some problems trying to make it fire in the proper sequence to open the hatch and lift gate.

Thanks,

David

Why don't you open a new question with that inquiry? maybe someone has been through this already. Also check online for other Chevy dealers who ship nationwide. You'd be surprised how much prices vary even on factory parts, depending on who you shop with.

Top Electrical Sensors Experts View More