Answers

At 71K miles, yes it is normal to need new struts and shocks. Unusual that all 4 went at the same time but it does happen. That repair should not cost more than approximately $1,000 from a reputable independent mechanic. I would go to Car Talk’s Mechanics Files site at

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/fi
    nd.html

Enter your zip code and you will get a list of mechanics in your area that other consumers have used and highly recommend. Look for ones that specialize either in the make of your car or the type of repair you need. Call 2-3 of them and ask for a ballpark figure on the repair. I have personally used this site with great success to find good honest mechanics and can highly recommend it. Good luck!

You may not have noticed the deterioration of your roads because its gradual to you see them every day. To someone like me who travels that way once or twice a year, the increase in bad potholes is more dramatic. I suspect the road maintenance budget has been decreased due to the economy and choices made by NY and Westchester Co. Increased car repairs can be considered to be an additional tax on drivers since its caused by state and county neglect of roads. If you bent a tie rod, then you're hitting bad potholes. I was up there last weekend and the potholes were very bad.

All that said, the cost seems high. There's no reason to do this at dealer prices. There must be some honest independent mechanics in your area that would do that job for about half.

I'm not sure why you would need 4 strut mounts unless it could be shown to you that a) the front strut mount bearings are rusted or binding, rubber cracked or torn away, and b) the rear strut mounts are deteriorated, rusted, rubber torn away, etc.

The estimate seems high to me, even with the 4 new strut mounts and 4 new struts and wheel alignment.

Your other repair sounded too high as well. If you bent even an inner tie rod (more expensive than the tie rod ends) I couldn't see more than $225 or so for this job. You don't need a wheel alignment with a tie rod replacement, only a toe-in adjustment, which is pretty darn easy to do.

I'd suggest you stay out of chain stores and have a competent independent Japanese auto repair shop inspect the car and SHOW YOU the bad strut mounts. While they always tell you to replace the strut mounts with the struts, it makes sense to see what kind of condition they are in. Replacing them adds considerable expense to this job.

As for the struts, yeah, they can be pretty weak at 70K.

Top Suspension Experts View More