• avatar zaken1 05/25/10 12:50 pm PST

Thanks for the information. If the car was not able to restart after it quit, and has not run properly since; I would replace the crankshaft position sensor. But if the car just quits every once in a while, and usually can be restarted after a short time, I would clean and replace the parts I suggested in my first response. I would recommend using Autolite # APP3924 spark plugs.

Answers

Without knowing the details of when and under what conditions the motor quits, or which of the three available engine sizes your car has; it is hard to pinpoint a likely cause. In general, I would suggest replacing the fuel filter, air filter, plug wires, and spark plugs; and cleaning the mass airflow sensor, fuel injection throttle body, and idle air control valve. Please be aware that specialized cleaning products and techniques are required for the mass airflow sensor; in order to avoid damaging it. It can only be cleaned with airflow sensor spray (most commonly made by CRC). Do not touch the sensor element or scrape it with any object. Just spray the sensor element until it is shiny clean.

Another thing that would make the motor quit is a defective crankshaft position sensor.

• tsfe4 05/25/10 11:33 am PST

Thanks. the car was driven about a mile and has the 2.7 ? six. It had rcently rained very hard

• tsfe4 05/26/10 5:38 pm PST

Thanks again for your help. It turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor.

Top Hyundai Santa Fe Experts View More

7. highsmith 55