Answers

If you mean you hear a loud clicking sound when you turn the key, then take off your battery cables and clean the posts with a wire brush, then either start the car or re-charge the battery.

I'm not sure how this battery was "tested" but it should have been a proper "load test".

If you mean that you turn the key and there is no sound but the dash lights light up, then jiggle the gear shift if it's an automatic or try to start in neutral rather than park; if it's a stickshift you may have a bad clutch pedal switch, without which the car will not start.

If it's an automatic, and there's no sound when you turn the key, and there are dash lights, and nothing happens when you jiggle the gearshift or try to start in neutral, then you probably have a bad neutral safety switch on the transmission.

• hvacer 09/19/10 10:44 am PST

Okay, found the problem. Battery was dead, the jumper cables used to jump were no good. Now when the truck is running and you turn the knob that controls where your air comes o ut there is a terrible clicking sound under the hood?? Any suggestions anyone??

This could still be a battery/charging system issue. You can't really charge up a battery from DEAD using your alternator. That takes a long time, and in the meantime, computer systems, relays (which you are hearing) might not like this voltage variation while the poor alternator tries to bring a battery back from the dead.

You'd be better off slow-charging the battery, or replacing it, and then see how the vehicle behaves, and we'll take it from there.

• hvacer 09/20/10 5:57 pm PST

I have now heard the noise that alerted her in the first place, I really don't think this is electrical. At first it really sounded like it was coming from in the block. Upon futher inspection however I am fairly certain that it is coming from one of the pulleys that the serpentine belt wraps around. The a/c stopped working first, that was the initial problem, I have a hard time believing the noise and the lack of a/c are not related. I wish that I could describe the sound, but I can't seem to come up with a comparable sound. Of and before I forget again, thank you for taking the time to help me I appreciate it very much!!

Well can you determine if the AC compressor's clutch is clicking ON when you engage the AC button or switch? Sometimes defective AC compressor clutches make some very weird noises---clicking, chattering, etc.

Top Electrical Starter Experts View More

4. elias 55
6. ray80 50
7. zaken 50