Answers

• smogguy 03/24/09 5:24 pm PST

you need to take it to a test and repair station, not a test only, there is a big differnce there. There are two basic reasons for catalytic converter failure. The first is contamination. This is a result of an overich engine, that would explian why you fuel comsumption has gone to [profanity deleted]. It causes carbon to deposit on the cats surface. That causes the cat to ruduce NOx or HC's and CO's the only thing your O2 sesors does is meas the exuast stream. Don't pay over than $50 for this test. Ask them to preform a TSI...AKA, Two Speed Idle that way you can sounds like you know what you r talking about. Some of these smog stations. can be a bit shady, Ed

• ken88 04/01/09 8:48 am PST

It seems here in NJ no one wants to just perform a test. I went to two different places and both tried to convince me I need both Catalytic converters replaced. They were not interested in putting my car on any machine. Very frustrating!!
    I believe it is just easier for the repair shops to replace both "cats" and make all that money then to do the right thing.

My only other alternative may be the dealer. Now that's a rip off for sure.

• smogguy 04/01/09 1:33 pm PST

Did you buy your car new or used. If you bought it used than you are due for a smog 4 years after change of owner ship. You might qualify for the consumer assistance program. You could be eligible to recieve $500 in emissions repairs. You need to take to a gold shield station. I am sorry for not thinking of this earlier but it might help with the cat replacment, if that is what it is, plus gold shield ((will run it)) on the machine. check out this web site it's only for calf. but N.J might have the same thing...www.smogcheck.ca.gov ;good luck man.

This code relates to the pre-cat. It is possible that the program in the ECM (Engine Control Module) of your car is outdated. Before any components are replaced a new program should be downloaded to the ECM. That new program may take care of your problem. Unfortunately that reprogram of your ECM can only be done at the dealer. 99% of the time the problem is the ECM program. In the new program the factory increased the specification for signal values received from the rear O2 sensor. If the pre-cat is indeed bad it should be covered by the warranty, so check on that before you pay for such a repair yourself. These pre-cats have been known to have manufacturing related problems

• ken88 04/01/09 1:51 pm PST

I will check this out. I hopefully will not have to rely on the dealer. I know I will get raked over the coals going there.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

• altima02ownr 04/07/09 11:27 pm PST

Hi Everyone,

I have the same exact problem as ken88. I have a NIssan Altima 2002, with 81,500 miles. Latley (probably last 2 months) my car fuel consumption also increases. just like yours.
    I got service engine soon light on Saturday April 4th 2009. Exactly one week (March 28th) before I took my car to the dealer for oil change, but ended up changing the tiers and brakes and rear rotars as they were bad.
    On April 4th I took the car back to the because the plastic clamp to which the supporting rod for the hood clamps to was broke. The dealer had the part and he fixed it for me. But as I exited the dealership and crossed couple of blocks I got the "Service Engine Soon Light".
    Today I took the car to the same dealer for diagnostics and he said it had P0420 code related to catalytic converter. He said the pre-cat is functioning low and will have to be replaced...and most likely the O2 sensors too...if they cannot save them, as they are rusted inot the pre-cat.
    I said NO to the dealer and would like more time as he was charging me $1600 for pre-cat and O2 sensors. I took the car to work. Came back home in the evening. After I came home after 1hr i started the car and the "Service Engine Soon" light was gone. I drove for over 30 miles and it did not show up.
    Can someone please suggest me what to do now. Since the "Service Engine Soon" light is gone. Should I wait until it comes back up? or take it to local garage or another nissan Dealer and get the pre-cat changed for much lesser price (Other Nissan dealer is charging me arounf $900 with O2 sensors...parts are from NISSAN)?

• wt6118pc 11/18/10 3:02 pm PST

"This code relates to the pre-cat. It is possible that the program in the ECM (Engine Control Module) of your car is outdated. Before any components are replaced a new program should be downloaded to the ECM. That new program may take care of your problem. Unfortunately that reprogram of your ECM can only be done at the dealer. 99% of the time the problem is the ECM program. In the new program the factory increased the specification for signal values received from the rear O2 sensor. If the pre-cat is indeed bad it should be covered by the warranty, so check on that before you pay for such a repair yourself. These pre-cats have been known to have manufacturing related problems"

I took my '05 Altima (118k miles) in to the local dealership today to have this recall done. The Service Advisor refused to perform the recall work because my 'check engine light' is on (on diagnostic I'm throwing code P0420, too). They will only update the ECM AFTER I (a) replace the pre-cat which may or may not be at fault and may or may not clear the P0420 code or (b) I sign a document created by the SERVICE ADVISOR stating "I release NISSAN from any and all liabilities resulting in damages that result from MY insistance that the ECM be reprogrammed. I understand that reprogramming the ECM while the 'check engine light' is on can result in catastrophic failure of the ECM, rendering my vehicle inoperable". So I asked him, "How much is an ECM?" His answer: "$500-700". I think I may be getting raked over the coals because my pre-cat is, according to some things I've been able to find on the net, past the mileage for the EPA's warranty. From what I gather that warranty only covers up to 80,000 miles.

I read, somewhere else, that another '05 owner was having the same problem and he was told, by a Service Advisor at another dealership, that, because his pre-cat was still under warranty, the code could be cleared with ONLY an ECM reprog, no components needed to be replaced. The Service Advisor I talked to today vehemently denied such a thing could take place.

www.consumeraffairs.com, in Nov. of 2007, lists this recall was put in place 'AS A RESULT OF THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR'S POSITION' ... according to their write-up the position where the sensor is mounted causes overheating which in turn causes the breakdown in communication with the ECM, which leads to engine shut-down.

If I read that correctly and compare that with NISSAN's solution to the problem (reprogram the ECM) ... all NISSAN is doing is changing the parameters at which the crankshaft sensor is set to fail? Raising the temperature tolerances so higher temps are now "acceptable" when it comes to "tripping the breaker"? It would seem to me, un-mechanically-educated as I may be, that the part is still going to fail, you just won't have any advance notice. I think NISSAN is only offering what amounts to "lip-service" when it comes to offering to reprogram the ECM to "fix" these issues..

"The sensor's location may expose it to temperature changes that would interrupt signals the sensor sends to the engine control module, according to Nissan. Without those signals, the control module may shut off the engine in low-speed driving, Nissan said." - www.consumeraffairs.com , November 21, 2007

^^^ THAT is, according to Consumer Affairs, directly from the mouth of NISSAN. ^^^

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls0
    4/2007/sentra_altima.html#ixzz15fMFx3rT

WHO'S TELLING US THE TRUTH HERE?

p.s. I've filed another complaint with www.consumeraffairs.com about this.

Source: http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.com/r
    e...

• jostrading 02/28/12 8:54 pm PST

you needed

part # 220T14002-9J10 Manifold A
    147G14036-6N200 Gasket-EXH
    25F20695-8J010 Bearing-SE

Top Exhaust Emissions Experts View More