• avatar actualsize 05/21/08 12:14 pm PST

I wouldn't think a 2006 car would have enough miles on it to warrant a new timing belt, but I don't know the mileage on your car. That's a critical part of the discussion and timing belts are something to take seriously if the mileage limit has been reached.

You owner's manual would have a maintenance schedule in it. You should check that and compare it to your current odometer reading before going to a dealer so you know what you need. And look back through the maintenance schedule at lower mileages to see what you might have missed.

Edmunds has a maintenance page on their website that will help you do the same thing.

Click here and enter your car's information.

Answers

• actualsize 05/21/08 12:14 pm PST

• canuck25 09/28/08 5:07 pm PST

The 2006 and later 4cyl Sonatas do NOT have a belt, but rather a timing chain. And I'm very certain this applies to the 6cyl engines as well!

• brr 01/02/09 10:46 am PST

I have an 06 Sonata with the V6.  There appears to be an issue with the timing chain tensioner that causes a rattling noise when cold.  I've read online that other people have the same experience.  If you have this problem, it should be covered under warrantee...

Top Hyundai Sonata Experts View More