• avatar karjunkie 02/19/10 2:35 pm PST

This is a electronic steering unit, there is no fluid as found in most cars, this was the first car to get electronic steering before GM started putting it on many of their later model cars and is known to have a lot of early teething problems. If you had been turning a lot before the light came on then most likely the thermal limit switch shut down the system. Basically you have a large electric motor inside the car on the steering column, this is what powers the steering assist. When you use the steering especially at low speeds it puts a lot of load on the steering motor that creates heat, when the motor gets hot enough there is a thermostat switch that opens up to cut power to the unit until it cools down. The power steering motor and module are all under the dash and replaced as one unit even though the module is bolted to the side of motor it all comes together. With what you have described it sounds like a fault with the module due to the fact that it will reset after restarting the car. Be sure to check all connections at motor and module under dash to make sure that they are not loose. Beyond this the only repair is to replace the steering gear/module unit. This is not a difficult repair and can be done in about an hour.

Answers

• tambolynn 03/03/10 3:25 pm PST

ANY ONE WITH A SATURN ION THAT HAS POWER STEERING PROBLEMS....PLEASE READ....The power steering recall on the cars just made by GM have the very same steering parts as the Saturn Ion. But the Ion was not included in the recall... PLEASE call NHTSA at 888-327-4236 to document your complaint. You will need car year, VIN #, and current mileage. With enough complaints, the Ion will be added!

• wzxmmj 03/04/10 8:47 pm PST

so here we are 2007 saturn Ion bought it for the kid new ,cuz i didnt want to have to fight fixing up old cars in the winter,

My daughter calls again and again, about some light coming on and some problem with this vehicle.of course its out of warranty by 3 months but with only 27k on it.
    the new one today is the power steering. same situation as listed above.
    after a visit to the dealership they tell me its a $375.00 fix.
    the motorr/module is bad. This on top of just replacing the stabilizer bar ends
    and fixing the sun roof leak and trying to grease the rear door latches cuz they keep freezing.

how frustrating, how disapointing.
    General motors has got to get a lot better on reliability real quick
    or they wont exist in 5 years.

Im going to call the corporate line tomorrow to see just how much they care.

• sel808 03/05/10 12:09 am PST

thank you so much for answering my steering problem & for giving your inputs, I thought i was the only one having this problem. hopefully i can find this part and have someone else put this in for me so i won't have to pay Saturn another dime. Just like the other writer I thought by buying a brand new car I wouldnt have alot of problems but like i said it seemed like right after my warranty ended everything started going down hill, my ac unit, my back window doesnt go up or down & now my power steering. I will call the number that was given by the other writer to put in my complaint in and hopefully soon this will be a recall. thanks again for your answers.

UPDATE for all you guys. GM finally issued a recall on that pesky electronic power steering problem! Unfortunately, it is only for the Cobalt and the G6, but you guys need to call NHSTA and flood them with complaints so that your cars are included!

Top Steering Experts View More