Answers

Open up the shifter console and lubricate the interlock pawl with some WD40. Then work the brake pedal to see if it releases.

• panegyrize 07/16/09 4:55 pm PST

Thanks, karjunkie. I will try that when I got home. By the way, would that work if I push the car to move?

I doubt it as the pawl is operated by a solenoid and the shift interlock system is independent of the driven wheels. It works purely on electrical input from the brake switch. You can try it if you want. I doubt it will hurt anything!

• panegyrize 07/16/09 5:23 pm PST

All right. I will try it and follow up later. Thanks again.

• oildusk 07/30/10 9:20 pm PST

Here's where you can find a solution for this issue.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2007-chry
    sler-sebring-gear-shift-vt251249.html

My car was operating fine and when I got in it to go home from work, it wouldn't shift out of park. I did exactly what this link suggested, pried off the ring, tilted the pink plastic piece back towards the rear of the car and then moved the gear shift while the pink piece was back (the car does not have to be running when you do this). I was able to put it into gear immediately and then drove it 40 miles back to my house without an issue. Not sure what the long term solution is, but this solved my immediate issue.

• sponaj 06/22/11 8:51 am PST

There was a recall on this issue in Aug 2010 for 07 and 08 automatic sebrings and avengers. If you go to chryslers webite, and click the for owners link (along the top), there is a place where you can check recalls (scroll down, in left column). Just put in your vin number and it will list all unaddressed recalls for your car. A Chrysler dealer will fix the shifter FREE OF CHARGE! It's recall notification K16.

Source: https://www.chrysler.com/hostb/crossbra
    n...

Top Chrysler Sebring Experts View More

6. bandit10 35
7. razor311 35