Answers

You don't have the owner's manual? You need that. Yeah, dealers love to make up stuff, friend's Honda dealer even printed off their own 'maintenance recommendation' manual, with all kinds of stuff not needed, and not in the real manual. I think you can find this info at Edmunds.com, too.

The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide will tell you what Honda recommends and it'll even tell you what it should cost in your zip code.

• isellhondas 04/21/10 2:28 pm PST

Well, some people like to take better care of their cars then the "minimum" requiements spelled out in owner's manuals.

One of the big things is Total Cost of Ownership and some people really look at these numbers when comparing cars.

The engineers and the bean counters argue quite a bit over this.

All of the techs in the shop "over maintain" their cars. I wonder why?

Free labor, free garage space with lifts, and discounted parts. :-)

I can only speak from personal experience, where the Lexus service writer attempted to extort transmission fluid changes every 15k miles by refusing to stamp the service record. I quit using them at that point.

Oil and filter change, tire rotation and change the cabin and air filters. About $100 in parts total and $60 or so labor. $500 is way too much for this service. Use your independent mechanic. I would also get a radiator flush if you have 3 years on the original coolant, but that is optional. At 40K miles I would also get a transmission fluid and filter change as an option.

Top Scheduled Maintenance Experts View More