Answers

• texases 02/18/13 10:44 am PST

Scam alert. Dealers push these for the money, not that your car needs them. The engine flush makes me laugh out loud, especially on a car with 3000 oil changes. And nothing need be done to the injectors unless there's a drivability problem or check engine light.

I bet none of this is in the owners manual, for good reason.

For the injectors, I'll buy a can of Techron every 60,000 miles or so if I think about it. Before I moved out of their service area, I'd just buy a tank of Chevron gas now and then.

It sounds like the dealer just wants to flush your wallet. And I think you're just flushing good oil down the drain too.

On my older Nissan, I change the oil every 7,500 miles, just like the manual recommends. Same as your Sentra per the Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide.

My Quest is at 182,000 miles btw.

• morin2 02/18/13 11:05 am PST

Another way to think about this: This dealer did you a favor by attempting this flagrant rip-off. Now you can drop this bad dealer service dept for good cause and find a competent, qualified independent mechanic (not some quickie lube or national chain). There are plenty of honest mechanics out there - so no need to visit the ones who demonstrate that they are unworthy of your trust.

I agree with the Chevron techron. I stock up on it when it goes on sale (sales are common) for "buy 1 get 1 free" at places like Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, PepBoys, etc.

• knowledgepower 02/18/13 12:17 pm PST

I would have to agree with the previous guys who posted, I've worked at dealerships and yes the Service Writers push the engine flush because they are on commission. The 3000 oil change is also a farce and mechanics will preach it because they make money as well as constant coolant changes and injector cleaning. Your owners manual will give you a much more distant oil changing schedule than 3,000 miles. The engine flush may be okay at or over 100,000 miles but not now.

• isellhondas 02/18/13 12:58 pm PST

Maybe I've just been lucky because in all of the cars I've owned, I have NEVER had a plugged injector nor have I ever had a flush done or used any additives.

That is a LOT of cars and a LOT of miles.

I do use Shell or Chevron gas most of the time.

The "engine flush" is really a joke!

Top Nissan Sentra Experts View More