• avatar mira44 04/16/10 3:18 pm PST

dimmer relay... now that's complicated. I have no idea. If you know there is such relay, change it. It should be $15. Change it so your dashboard lights may work. But first disconnect "illumination" wire on your stereo. Then test your dash lights with new relay or fuse. Unknowingly you have shorted something when you were installing radio and blew a fuse or relay. you are right. who needs to dimm stereo lights anyway. If you turn radio on, all light on. If you turn radio off, all light off. use it like that, keep it simple.

Answers

• tony78 03/28/10 11:37 pm PST

If all worked before you installed the radio, then you messed up somewhere, better go back over your work.

• mira44 04/16/10 3:04 pm PST

yes better go back over your work. I will share my experience with same problem years ago. In the bunch of wires (all color-coded) behind your new stereo, there is a wire called "illumination" or "dimmer" on some. This wire has to be exactly connected to the right wire in your dash. Locating that wire in your dash to your car is the tricky part. What's more complicated is that this particular wire can be a "+" or " - " depending on make of car. On todays radios aftermarket it will have both + and - wires sticking out for you to connect. Its + or - pick one only. 2007 Corolla, what a perfect car.

• mira44 04/16/10 3:18 pm PST

• kymitch 04/17/10 11:47 pm PST

Indeed, it was a fuse after all. I call Crutchfield and they told me that condition happens all the time when using their wiring harness to connect a car stereo to the car's dimmer circuit. Seems the radio prefers a negetive ground. So I cut the dimmer wire on the harness. I then made a trip to Toyota to get an owner's manual for the car since it didn't come with one when I bought the car a week earlier. Sure enough, found the fuse and everything is now fine.

Top Lights Interior lights Experts View More

6. obyone 70