• avatar Stever@Edmunds 09/16/10 10:38 am PST

Some of us don't believe in transmission flushes, but there's more than one kind of flush. At this relatively low mileage a "power" flush using the Caddy's engine to pump the fluid out should work fine without stirring up any crud that may be sitting in the nooks and crannies of the transmission.

I wouldn't do a power flush involving an external machine at all and I wouldn't want to use any chemicals with any flush.

For my own cars, I simply do a drain and fill, knowing that about 2/3rds of the old fluid will remain in the transmission. But if the fluid looks ok and doesn't smell burnt, I'm ok with that.

You may want to look at the owners manual or the Edmunds Maintenance Guide and see what GM says about fluid change intervals.

The Guide will also tell you what a scheduled service should cost in your zip code.

Answers

• jipster 09/15/10 10:04 pm PST

Yeah, at 63,000 miles I would go ahead and change the trans, brake and coolant, just to be on the safe side. 60k miles is usually the mileage most cars have that type of maintence done. Your owners manual should have the recommended maintenence intervals for all your fluids.

If the transmission fluid looks to be nice and reddish pink, as it should, no need to hurry. Coolant I would definitely change. Brakes, I don't flush my brake fluid as its not in my owners manual, but a lot of people here suggest flushing the brakes.

And yes, you want to change out all the trans fluid with a flush. The drain and fill method doesn't remove that much.

Dealerships will charge anywhere from $149 to $209 for a trans. flush. Chains (i.e Goodyear) around $129 and independents a little less... maybe $99.