• avatar morin2 10/29/11 9:28 pm PST

Yes, I believe the smaller engine is working harder on those long inclines and the temp guage is indicating the higher engine temp that results. I suspect that the long downhills are easy on the engine and the guage is showing the lower resulting temp. IMO, the shop should be looking into ways to improve the cooling capacity of your car - and the very first thing I would do would be to check and replace the coolant since its due anyway (at least according to my own more conservative schedule if not the manual).

Over 30 years ago, my wife and I honeymooned by travelling around Nova Scotia with her then new 1979 Mazda GLC wagon. There were some long steep hills and that little car did great, but I remember watching the temp guage with concern as it showed the increasing engine temps. The concern was followed by relief on the downside of those hills - which was then replaced with concern about overheating the brake fluid.

Has your shop explained the delay?

Answers

• morin2 10/29/11 10:55 am PST

Its normal when the engine is working harder for the temp to increase a little - how high has the guage indicated and is it in danger of overheating? Is the fan coming on when it should?

I would flush the coolant if that has not been done and make sure the new coolant is within specs for concentration. Use distilled water only for mixing with the correct coolant. It should be done every 2 to 3 years anyways, regardless of mileage, so you are due.

I rarely recommend additives, but one I do use is called "Water Wetter" by Red Line, added when you change coolant, as per the bottle's instructions. Its sold in 12oz bottles at any autoparts store and is supposed to reduce high temperatures.

• buchster1 10/29/11 3:21 pm PST

They said the fan is working,and i had checked that myself. Don't know if antifreeze was changed or not. Wonder if fact that it is a 4 cyl. and it happens on long upgrade hills. could have an affect on it? It is at a Ford garage where i bought the car & so far Ford Co. is covering expense,even car rental.but i don't want this to be an every 3 month occurance,whic it is working out to be.

Has your shop explained the delay?

• buchster1 10/29/11 9:48 pm PST

They just said they would try to duplicate the problem. The engine warning light was on but just happened to go back out on my way to the garage which is 2 5 mile from my home. I will suggest the antifreez change. Once they had the car for 2 weeks before i got it back. Lucky that this all came about the first time while still under warranty & Ford is picking up the tab. I should have took the 6 cyl. they had instead,but thought of the better gas mileage on the 4 cyl. Thanks for the advise

Good luck. Hopefully 4th time is the charm, especially if there is now a check engine light (CEL).

There are a few things you can do to keep the temp from getting too high on hills. The first is to minimize weight in the car. A full load might always be a problem. The mother-in-law might have to stay home:) Second, don't try to tow even a small trailer. Thirdly, don't use roof-top cargo carriers - they increase wind resistance.

• buchster1 11/01/11 8:21 pm PST

I called the Ford 800 # today and they are investigating this problem for me and said they would get back to me in about 4 days. They even gave me a confermation # and said i could call them any time to check on things . Getting my car back after 2 weeks as they still haven't figured out the reason for this trouble.

• buchster1 11/26/11 9:07 pm PST

5th time i had this same problem i was in Virginia. Got home & took car back they had for another 2 weeks & found nothing. Got car back on a Wed.,2 days later drove car almost 200 mile & was in a hilly section of Ohio & temp guage went to HOT & engine started bucking. Called the garage & told them i was 30 minutes from them and was bringing the car in,which i did. Finally they found something about a cluster panel,& worked on it. So 6 times at garage and all total they had it almost 2 months out of the 12 months i owned it. Hope it is fixed.

Top Heating / Cooling Experts View More