• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 03/08/10 8:54 pm PST

Just a guess but the symptoms of too retarded timing are quick start up, good idle, sluggishness and possibly backfire. OR, if it runs better when warm, this might suggest a vacuum leak.

Perhaps you should a) check the timing specs and then if they are okay b) put a vacuum gauge on the engine and see how the gauge behaves. If you get low vacuum or a very eratic needle, you might use carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks and also do a compression test.

Last but not least, re-check all your tune up parts, especially cap and rotor and plug wires.

Answers

• 0patience 03/09/10 8:12 pm PST

Agree with Mr Shiftright.
    Ignition timing (ignition timing off or crossed plug wires), cam timing or a vacuum leak are all things that could cause those symptoms.

What kind of timing set did you use?
    If you used an after market timing set, is there only one timing mark on the cam or 3?

Recheck your timing. If it is off, you will have poor performance.

Check for vacuum leak at the throttle plate and throttle shaft.
    How long did the vehicle sit whil you were doing the work. It could be that the carb float (needle and seat) are sticking or the float level isn't correct.

Let us know what you find.
    Use the Answer this Question button to reply.

• jwilso1818 03/15/10 4:15 pm PST

Thank you Mr shiftright and 0patience for your input and suggestions. After I received both of your suggestions, I installed a new distributor cap and rotor and rebuilt the carb as I had a leak at the carb's accelerator pump. The car now starts up fine, idles ok, and runs great until I start going up a hill. The car starts bogging down as I start to climb. I am now going to look for vacuum leaks or possibly a stuck vacuum advance leak. That is the only thing that I can think of that would cause the problem.

Does this vehicle still have its original catalytic? If so, a quick disconnect for testing purposes would be instructional.

• jwilso1818 03/15/10 8:38 pm PST

It has straight pipes and muffler.

Does the timing run up properly to spec when you throw a timing light on the engine and race it?

Top Ford Experts View More