• avatar colin_l 08/05/09 10:26 am PST

I wouldn't do this. I think the actual market value of your truck is a lot less than $2,500, and with 170k on the motor I wouldn't put $1,000 let alone $2,300 into it.

If you have friends or family who are skilled mechanics able to replace the transmission, that is the only scenario in which I'd think this is a good idea. I'd figure on finding a transmission from a salvage yard for under $1,000 (hopefully more like $600) and installing it for a case of beer. :)

Otherwise I'd put $1,000 - $2,300 into another used vehicle instead of propping this one up. You're ready for an engine overhaul too.

Answers

Was the truck towed to a shop to await diagnosis? If it does need a transmission, it will be a tough decision. You should discuss it with your mechanic after carefully considering what else the truck needs now and in the near future and adding those costs to the cost of a replacement transmission.

• sjohnson7 08/05/09 9:40 am PST

Truck was towed to my home. I have discussed with a mechanic and he said $1,000. to repair, $2300 to overhaul. He thinks it is either the pump or torque converter. Oil level on dip stick does go down to normal reading when engine is running in nuetral.

• colin_l 08/05/09 10:26 am PST

• sjohnson7 08/05/09 9:25 pm PST

I am a decent mechanic but cringe to think what is involved to change this tranny out. Crawling under the truck, I took note of what needs to be done: Remember this is a 4x4!

1. Remove front and rear drive shaft
    2. Remove exhaust system
    3. Disconnect Transfer Case and move back on tortion bar crossmember (which is welded in place) to disconnect it from the tranny.
    4. Disconnect all cables, hoses, cooling lines
    5. Remove crossmember under transmission
    6. Support motor and transmission and remove hard to access bell housing bolts
    7. Remove 4 WD drive shifter linkage
    8. Remove tranny
    9. Do all above in reverse

All the above would have to be done on my back!

I found a tranny with 39,000 miles on it in a salvage yard for $685.00 but the installation would take a lot more than a case of beer!

I had not considered the engine may be near the end of it's life because it has been running so well and uses little oil.

What to do?? Steve

Top Transmission AWD 4WD Experts View More