Answers

The PCV valve is very cheap and this should be the first thing you replace. If the engine still bogs when you give it gas, I would get a can of CRC sensor spray and clean the MAF sensore wire. I would also clean the IAC and EGR valves as they will accumulate carbon deposits over the years which will cause the symptoms you describe. They can easily be removed and cleaned with throttle body cleaner

You can reply in this thread by clicking the Answer this Question button and that will help keep all the information in one spot. Thanks!

• drdr05 11/25/09 5:02 am PST

karjunkie I did what you said to do and did not work. I think it might be an EEC or a ignition module problem but how would I know fer sure. I do have a friend that has a diagnostic checker-magigy so he might be able to tell me whats wrong. But, in the meantime what else could I do, I don't want to drive my car if she's not going to run right for fear that I might do some damage to her.
    Oh, I was driving her two days ago and she just died on me and would not start back up. So, I tried again to start her one more time to see if she would start and did, that was after about 15 minutes and died again 2 miles down the road, but started back up in another 10 minutes.
    Is there anyway that I could bypass the MAF for the time being untill I can get one, cause I do know that the MAF is only putting out .01 volts. It should be reading .34-1.96 volts. And, is it posible to loop a 1.5v battery to it like an AA, C, or D to the MAF circut.
    If you have anymore insight let me know. I don't have much money but I can get what I need for her.

Before you spend more money, I would have that friend hook up the code scanner and see what comes up. Form the symptoms you described it soumds more like the crankshaft position sensor may be bad. If you still show the P0102 after clearing the codes and running the engine, the only solution may be to change the MAF sensor. You can always pull one off a junker at the salvage yard for not too many bucks.

• drdr05 11/27/09 9:54 pm PST

ok, I replaced the MAF sensor and another code came. This code is P1407 and I can't find what this code means. It doesn't say in my chilton book or the code reader book. other than that she run great. Let me know what I should do??

P1407 means the ECU is not detecting that the EGR valve is circulating exhaust gases as it should. The most likely cause is that the EGR is carboned up from years of carbon building up or there is a hose or pipe disconnected from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. Very easy to clean the EGR with throttle body spray cleaner and a toothbrush, so I would try that first. Also check all hose connections to the EGR valve for leaks or a loose connection.

Top Ford Thunderbird Experts View More

3. patcat1 70