verry well could be the timing chain hitting the guides first remove the belts then run engine without beltt if noise is gone then its not the chain its insomething drivenby the belts this is what it will take to do the chain
3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L, 8.0L Gasoline Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
- Remove the accessory belt.
- Remove the fan and shroud.
- Remove the alternator. Unbolt the A/C compressor and place it to one side if required for access to the water pump.
- Remove the air pump and bracket (8.0L engine)
- Remove the water pump.
- Remove the power steering pump.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the vibration damper.
- If replacing the seal only: use a suitable tool to pry the seal from out of the timing cover. Use caution as to NOT damage the seal surface of the timing cover. Proceed to the installation steps.
Fig. You can use a seal puller, such as this one from Lisle®, to remove the front seal from the timing cover
- Loosen the oil pan bolts, and then remove the two front oil pan bolts on each side of the crankshaft that retain the cover.
- Remove the bolts that retain the timing cover to the engine block.
- Remove the cover, using caution to avoid damaging the oil pan gasket.
- Remove the seal from the timing cover using a suitable tool. Take care not to damage the seal surface of the timing cover.
- The oil seal can be installed before or after installation of the cover. Use a suitable seal installation tool or large socket to press seal into place. Spring side goes towards the engine.
- Using a new timing cover gasket, place the timing cover on the engine block.
- Install the timing cover bolts to the engine block. Tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm) on V-6 and V-8 engines, 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) on V-10 engines.
- Install the front two oil pan bolts; tighten to 215 inch lbs. (24 Nm).
- the reset of the procedure is the reverse of removal.
Fig. Make sure the seal area of the cover is clean and smooth before installing a new seal
Fig. A large socket can be used if the proper tool is unavailable; however, this is not the recommended method