Answers

I hope you cleared the codes with a code scanner after making the repairs. The light will not go off by itself; nor can the code be cleared on OBDII vehicles like yours by disconnecting the battery.

Some people have fixed this problem by flushing and replacing the transmission fluid. It seems to happen when the solenoid sticks. And that can be caused by dirt or particles in the transmission fluid. It is apparently a common problem, which there are no sure causes for.

Toyota has issued several TSBs for various models with this problem. You might check with a dealership about TSBs for this problem in your model vehicle.

• rearwheeldrive 03/21/09 2:05 pm PST

This is the index page for code removal. Electronic Transmissions is at the bottomleft column, page 33-22.This is page 33-22 for clearing codes on all Toyota Electronic Transmissions up to 2006 Another page described how to check codes for Electronic Transmission but it only stated 1987-1995 two years short of your model without a scan tool.
    This page states remove the Stop fuse (brake light) or fuse marked EFI in the engine compartment fuse box, for ten seconds. Have key in off position.Maybe this will help.

Stay away from expensive shops and drop in to mycarspace or google rearwheeldrive 1990 Q-45

Could also be your torque converter clutch, which will throw this code.

• lucky19 03/21/09 8:35 pm PST

Thanks for everyone's answers. The transmission fluid has been changed. The car has been reprogramed, the light goes out for about 5 miles and returns on. It may be the converter clutch..how much does this cost..and do I need to take it to a dealer or can someone that works on Toyota's fix this? The car runs fine and the gears change smoothly.Is this something I need to fix immediately? I was also told it could be a bad computer not getting message to solenoid section. I have already spent about $1000 on this, how do I know what to do? Thanks .

• felixp49 12/08/10 10:43 am PST

I have 1997 Toyota Camry LE.Check engine is still on . Codes were checked P0770 which says solenoid malfunction E. Solenoid have been replaced and the light came back on after 43mils

Top Engine Indicator Lights Experts View More