• avatar dave8697 03/13/11 12:09 pm PST

This may not be an answer but I discovered on my '96 Riv with dual climate control that when I was a can low on freon, it would blow cold air on the pass side and just recirc inside air on the driver's side. The system only had enough freon to make one side function properly and so it only tried to make one side work. Ithought idt was a motor controlled door inside the duct system, but it just needed a charge. We only had one day this winter warm enough to try out the a/c and it was doing just the pass side again. I bought a can of freon that I will put in in late April.

Answers

• dave8697 03/13/11 12:09 pm PST

• lostagain1 03/14/11 9:49 am PST

Hey ! Thanks for the input, I will take it to my mech. and have it check out on the freon. You just never know these days on what will affect anything on this car.I was thinking somewhere along the lines of the damper under the pass. side. But, you never know. Thank again

• lostagain1 04/16/11 9:21 am PST

Well , I took it to the AC shop and it was full of freon and they had no ideal what was causeing my problem.

• imidazol97 07/09/12 9:06 am PST

The HVAC box has an electric actuator motor on top of the box. The gears inside crack and slip on the axle for the arm that moves the metal lever that moves the vane inside the heater to adjust the temp blend. Replace the actuator--or take it off, open it after carefully observing how the grey axle is positioned, superglue the white gear to the axle, and reassemble.

You can remove the hush panel under the passenger dash, take off the 6 screws that hold the glovebox door on, and then unclip two wires from the actuator and remove carefully not to lose them two screws. Small hands will help.

You can first test, by watching the movement of the arm while you change the temp from hot to cold with the key ON. You'll see that you can gently move the arm the way it should go to help the actuator with the slipping. You'll also get a temp change if the motor is running while you're doing it and the coolant is hot.

Top Heating / Cooling Heater Experts View More

7. alaskanj 120