• avatar MrShift@Edmunds 10/05/10 11:34 am PST

I understand. My source (ALLDATA) is quite emphatic that you need the proper scanner to reset the light.

Answers

Service AWD/4WD Indicator Lamp

Illumination of the Lamp indicates a problem with the drive system.
    There will probably be a Transfer Case Code set to aid in diagnostics.

The only way to get the light to go off is to clear Transfer Case codes.
    This light can NOT be shut off or reset any other way.
    Transfer Case codes should be read and repaired before clearing them.

Your scanner probably doesn't have these capabilities?

• blsabo 10/05/10 6:45 am PST

Thanks for the info but I'm unsure if there is a "real" fault or not. As I said it came up the same time I was having electrical issues and before I start spending money I was hoping to clear it and see if it sets again.

It is possible my code reader will not read these codes. I have seen a simular post for a 2000 Bravada where they state you can read the code by grounding the #13 wire on reader plug and watch the lights flash. I was going to try that but on the 99 there is no wire in the #13 position, so that will not work.

I realize it is supposed to come on when there is a problem with the system, however I think this one is a fantom and just want to clear the TCCM code and see if it remains off or if there truly is a problem.

• blsabo 10/11/10 3:09 pm PST

I changed the encoder motor and the light went away. No idea what code was set, but it is off now. thanks for the help.

Okay...it might reset but hope not. That's an $$ part isn't it? About $140 bucks or so? I always encourage people to read codes so that they don't have to guess but sometimes guesses are right, so there you go. :)

Top Transmission AWD 4WD Experts View More