• avatar knowledgepower 04/21/13 3:07 pm PST

The Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer are both good choices since you've decided on one of them. You can do a comparison on this website of both vehicles even though they are quite equal. The Grand Cherokee shares the same chassis as a Mercedes ML SUV and is available in 4WD which rates very well and the Explorer shares a chassis with the Flex which also rates well but not available in 4WD. Either way you can't go wrong.

Answers

4000 pounds towing eliminates most everything 'economical' out there. Is this a frequent need? Could you rent when that's needed?

• mcles 04/20/13 9:20 pm PST

Hi Texases, this is really not a great option as the vehicle I chose has to be able to work as a daily driver during the week and be capable of keeping me unstuck on the weekends. I am currently looking at Jeeps, Explorers, vehicles of that ilk. I work a tool heavy job and I need something that I can use rather hard during the week, just not enough to qualify for needing a truck. Example, everything I haul around can mostly fit behind the seat of my extended cab.

• knowledgepower 04/21/13 3:07 pm PST

• mcles 04/21/13 5:10 pm PST

Thanks for the input Knowledgepower, I had no idea the Mercedes was built on the same chasis as the Jeep, will need to check into that. I definately want 4WD as I came close to getting stuck again today trying to turn around on a snow covered mountain road. Would you chose the Mercedes over the Jeep? If so, why. Is one more reliable than the other or cheaper to repair or easier to work on myself? These are all valid considerations for me. Does the Mercedes have the same power train?

If reliability is important I'd look at a 4runner.

Top SUV Experts View More

7. sandman235 195